What is the expected value of this five-dice game?

In summary, the expected value for playing the game of rolling five dice and winning a dollar for each number other than a five that is rolled is $2.99.
leumas614

Homework Statement

Five dice are rolled. You win a dollar for each number other than a five that is rolled, but you don't win extra for duplicate numbers; for example if [3,5,3,2,1] is the result, then you win three dollars. What should you pay to play this game (what is expected value)?

Homework Equations

Can't think of any specific ones

The Attempt at a Solution

It's hard for me to explain what I did because I don't know how to draw a tree diagram on a computer.

First I did (5/6)*(4/6)*(3/6)*(2/6) but apparently that's wrong. Then I drew a tree diagram so I had 5/6 chance of rolling 1,2,3,4,6. If I rolled a 1, then I have a 2/3 chance of rolling a 2,3,4,6 but not 1,5. If I rolled a 3 let's say then 1/3 chance of rolling one of the remaining numbers namely 4,6. If I rolled a 4 then 1/6 chance of rolling a 6 and lastly multiplied by random variable 5 for five tosses. Thus my equation is this starting from bottom of the tree:

5(1/6)2(1/3)4(1/2)5(2/3)(1/6)=1.85 The 5,2,4,5 I added into account for the fact that I only considered certain numbers and left some out.

Is this anywhere near correct? Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
leumas614 said:
Five dice are rolled. You win a dollar for each number other than a five that is rolled, but you don't win extra for duplicate numbers; for example if [3,5,3,2,1] is the result, then you win three dollars. What should you pay to play this game (what is expected value)?

Hi leumas614! :smile:

You need to be systematic …

how many ways are there of winning $1?
$2?

$5? :wink:

# ways of rolling anything is 5[tex]^{5}[/tex]

# of ways of winning $0: only 1 (rolling 5,5,5,5,5)

# of ways of winning $5:

1,2,3,4,6 in any order so 5!

# of ways of winning $1

any combination of 1 and 5, 2 and 5 ... 4 and 5. The prob is the binomial distribution:
4[tex]\sum[/tex]from n=1 to 5([tex]^{5}_{n}[/tex])(1/6)[tex]^{n}[/tex](1/6)[tex]^{5-n}[/tex]=4(1/6)[tex]^{5}[/tex](1+5+10+5)=0.01080

There has to be a way to solve this without enumerating all possible answers. What about this:

odds of rolling only two numbers out of 6 are 5[(2/6)[tex]^{5}[/tex]-(1/6)[tex]^{5}[/tex]] It's multiplied by 5 because you can make 5 pairs of two numbers (1,5 2,5...6,5). It's minus (1/6)[tex]^{5}[/tex] to account for the overlap. You are counting one number twice. For the other numbers:

C(5,1)[(2/6)^5-(1/6)^5] +C(5,2)[(3/6)^5-(2/6)^5]+...+C(5,5)[(1-(5/6)^5]=3.2447

This includes rolling 3 numbers, 4 numbers, 5 numbers

Never mind I found out the answer.

X = I1+I2+I3+I4+I6

I1 is the indicator of getting a 1. That is you either get a 1 or you don't. So X is getting a number other than 5 and no repeats which equals [tex]\sum[/tex]In

Take expected value of both sides so E(X) = P(1)+P(2)+P(3)+P(4)+P(6) which is just 5P(1).

P(1) is the odds of getting at least one 1 which is just 1-(5/6)5

So E(X)=5P(1)=5(1-(5/6)5)=2.99

What is the "Hard rolling dice problem"?

The "Hard rolling dice problem" is a mathematical problem that involves rolling a set of dice and trying to get a specific number or combination of numbers.

What makes this problem difficult?

This problem is difficult because it involves probability and the outcomes of multiple dice rolls. It can be challenging to calculate the exact probability of getting a specific number or combination of numbers.

Can this problem be solved?

Yes, this problem can be solved using mathematical equations and probability theory. However, it may require advanced mathematical knowledge and skills to solve it accurately.

What are some real-world applications of this problem?

The "Hard rolling dice problem" can be applied to various fields such as statistics, game theory, and cryptography. It can also be used to analyze and predict outcomes in games of chance and gambling.

Are there any strategies for solving this problem?

Yes, there are various strategies for solving the "Hard rolling dice problem". Some common approaches include using probability equations, simulations, and programming algorithms. Additionally, understanding the underlying patterns and principles of dice rolling can also help in solving the problem.