Hard Science Fiction

David Weber does a good job with hard science fiction, also, Johnny Ringo, Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle. The latter two collaborated on several excellent books, including
The Mote in God's Eye. Heinlein called that one "possibly the finest science fiction novel I have ever read". That's a damn good recommendation. Written in 1975, but nothing is dated. They even have tablets.

BWV
David Weber does a good job with hard science fiction, also, Johnny Ringo, Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle. The latter two collaborated on several excellent books, including
The Mote in God's Eye. Heinlein called that one "possibly the finest science fiction novel I have ever read". That's a damn good recommendation. Written in 1975, but nothing is dated. They even have tablets.
I think the OP referred to Science Fiction, not Science Fascism.

Not hard in science, but hard in humanity, PK Dick is a great antidote to Pournelle et al

Up on the hardness scale would put Alastair Reynolds, hard to think of any other HSF writer that can actually write as well as he can

Ahhh.... I understand. There is a fine line between explaining, and intelligently weaving the technology/science into the story (making it integral to the story). The story becomes about interacting with the science, not about explaining the science. Using the science to make a story is different from "explaining". If you can leave it out and not disrupt the storyline, then you should leave it out. (Just my opinion, as I am not a writer).
Excellent advice, that. A more shouty way of putting it might be thus: Don't Try To Explain Everything!

Up on the hardness scale would put Alastair Reynolds, hard to think of any other HSF writer that can actually write as well as he can
Having (finally) got round to making a start on one of Alastair Reynolds' SF novels - 'Pushing Ice' - that seems a very fair comment.

meBigGuy
Gold Member
If had had to pick the two novels that were the most fun for me to read, I would pick "pushing ice" and "snow crash". Not sure I can explain why though.

I think the OP referred to Science Fiction, not Science Fascism.
(edited)

Your biased opinion not withstanding, these authors are science fiction writers.