1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hard soft acid base theory, i'm not understanding it

1. Oct 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

the question asks to determine if the equilibrium is greater, equal or less than 1. one of the equation is the following:
    [CuI4]2- (aq) + [CuCl4]3- (aq) ↔ [CuCl4]2-(aq) + [CuI4]3- (aq)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

the solution given was:
    the answer using the HSAB theory is:
    HA-SB + SA-HB <-> HA-HB + SA-SB
    (respectively) so equilibrium lies towards the products. I don't know how they labeled some of these elements:
    i understand that in the first product Copper with an oxidation state of 2+ is a hard acid, Iodine is a soft base with oxidation state of 1-. In the second product, copper is a soft acid with an oxidation state of 1+ (am i right) and Cl is a soft base. Then in the products: i see copper is a hard acid with an oxidation state of 2+ but why is Cl a hard base??? in the second product copper is a soft acid (ox state of 1+) and I is a soft base..

basically my question is why is the chloride ion a hard base in the second product?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted