Hard time getting the volume of the boat

In summary, the conversation is about finding the depth a rowboat will sink into the water when two 200 pound men get into it. The initial plan involved calculating the weight of the boat and men, but it was later realized that the weight of the boat was already accounted for. The final solution involves finding the depth the boat will sink until it displaces water equal in weight to the men's weight.
tucky
I am stuck on this problem...

A rowboat measures 4ft wide by 10ft long. How much (in inches) will the boat sink into the water when two 200 lbs me get into the boat?

A: I am having a hard time getting the volume of the boat…does anyone have a suggestion?

This was my plan:
W boat= volume * density of a wood
W men= 400lb = 181.57kg * p.8 N/kg= 1779.39N
F bouy= W water = mg=pVg= 1000kg/m^3 * volume displaced *9.8 N/kg =

F lift = F buoy – W boat – W men =

I don’t even know if I am headed in the right direction…..Can anyone help?
Thank for the help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your basic idea is good but why are you converting from
English units to metric? I know metric is easier to use, but when you are given everything in English to begin with...

OUCH! I had spent about 10 minutes on this when suddenly the light dawned! The problem asks for the depth the boat SINKS when the two 200 pound men get into the boat. You DONT NEED to find the weight of the boat itself- that's already accounted for by the fact that the boat is floating already before the men get in. You only need to find how much MORE it sinks!

You are given that the weight of the men is 400 pounds, total. The boat will sink (further) into the water until it displaces water equal in weight to the weight of the men: The volume of water displaced is 4*10*h where h is the depth (in feet) the boat sinks. Multiply that by the density of water (in pounds per cubic foot!) and set it equal to 400.

Thank you...that really helped.

What is the volume of a boat?

The volume of a boat is the amount of space the boat occupies. It is typically measured in cubic units such as cubic feet or cubic meters.

Why is it difficult to determine the volume of a boat?

The volume of a boat can be difficult to determine because boats have irregular shapes and can be hollow or filled with compartments. This makes it challenging to measure the exact amount of space they occupy.

How can the volume of a boat be calculated?

The volume of a boat can be calculated by using the formula for the volume of a three-dimensional shape, such as a cylinder or a cone. Alternatively, the boat can be filled with water and the amount of water displaced can be measured to determine the volume.

What factors can affect the volume of a boat?

The shape, size, and materials used to construct a boat can all affect its volume. Additionally, any modifications or additions made to the boat, such as added compartments or equipment, can also impact its volume.

Why is knowing the volume of a boat important?

Knowing the volume of a boat is important for various reasons, such as determining its carrying capacity, ensuring it meets safety regulations, and calculating its displacement in the water. It can also be useful for maintenance and repairs, as well as determining the cost of materials for construction or modifications.