Can the Vector Sum OC Lie on, Inside, or Outside the Circle?

In summary: In the first case, the length of OC would be the same as the length of OA and OB. In the second case, OC would be shorter.
Hard Vector Question Much Help Needed!

Points A and B are any two points on a cirlce with a center O. The heads of Vectors OA and OB lie on the circle. Vector OC is the sum of OA and OB . In the Diagram, the head of OC lies outside the circle. Explain your answer to each question.

a.)Is it Possible for the head of OC to lie on the Circle?

b.)Is it Possible for the head of OC to lie inside the circle?

c.)Where are all the possible positions for C?

Here is the Diagram! Thank you any help is appreciated. I tried doing some of the questions but All my answers were wrong, and i got confused, please help me! thank you very much

Attachments

• Diagram.JPG
    Diagram.JPG
    6.3 KB · Views: 640
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't seen the diagram, but I think the notation makes it clear.

a) If the head of OC is on the circle, then it would be the same length as OA and OB. When you add OA and OB graphically, you'll be making a triangle with OC. Is there a triangle in which all three sides are the same length? If so, what can you say about that triangle?

b) If the head is inside the circle, then OC will be shorter than OA and OB (which, if you think about it, must be the same length). Is it possible to have a triangle with two sides the same length and the third side shorter?

c) Picture taking OA and OB and joining the head of OA to the tail of OB. OC will be the third side of the triangle formed. Let the angle between OA and OB vary - what are the possible lengths for the third side?

Note: If the notation isn't quite as clear as I thought it was, I may have to modify these answers when the diagram shows up.

Nicely answered!

a) If the head of OC is on the circle, then it would be the same length as OA and OB. When you add OA and OB graphically, you'll be making a triangle with OC. Is there a triangle in which all three sides are the same length? If so, what can you say about that triangle?

The triangle is an equilateral triangle in which all sides are the same or all angles are 60.. how does this help justify the answer though?

b) If the head is inside the circle, then OC will be shorter than OA and OB (which, if you think about it, must be the same length). Is it possible to have a triangle with two sides the same length and the third side shorter?

Yes it is Possible

c) Picture taking OA and OB and joining the head of OA to the tail of OB. OC will be the third side of the triangle formed. Let the angle between OA and OB vary - what are the possible lengths for the third side?

Sorry about that can you make this a little more clear

Im sorry if i sound stupid or anything, its just that I am taking this course one year up, and normally I am not supposed so I am not as qualified

You're not stupid, luv. You're just inexperienced in this stuff. That will change.

On the first one, asking about the triangle is just an outgrowth of the mathematician in my soul.

On the third one: Consider two extreme cases. Suppose OA and OB are antiparallel, so they lie along the same line. Next, suppose they're parallel, so again they lie along the same line. What would the difference between the first case and the second case be in terms of the length of the "third" side?

It may help to sketch these things out.

What is a hard vector question?

A hard vector question is a problem that involves the use of vector quantities, such as magnitude and direction, to solve a complex mathematical or physical problem. These questions often require a deep understanding of vector operations and concepts.

Why are vector questions difficult?

Vector questions can be difficult because they require a combination of mathematical skills and conceptual knowledge. Often, these problems involve multiple steps and can be challenging to solve without a thorough understanding of vector principles.

What are some common vector operations?

Some common vector operations include addition, subtraction, scalar multiplication, and dot and cross products. These operations are used to manipulate vectors and solve complex problems in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

How can I improve my skills in solving vector questions?

Practice and understanding are key to improving your skills in solving vector questions. Make sure you have a solid understanding of vector concepts and regularly practice solving problems to strengthen your skills.

What are some real-world applications of vector questions?

Vector questions have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. For example, they are used to calculate forces, velocities, and accelerations in mechanical systems, and to determine the direction and magnitude of wind and ocean currents.