How can I fix the issue of hard drives not opening when double clicked on?

• Thread starter spidey
  • Start date
In summary, the user is experiencing difficulty opening hard drives by double-clicking or pressing enter. They must instead right-click and select 'explore'. The issue is present on all drives and the OS is Windows XP. The user has tried deleting the "autorun.inf" file and performing error checking for system files, which temporarily resolves the issue but the file is recreated and the problem persists. Assistance is requested for troubleshooting this problem.
spidey
hi guys,
when i double click on any hard drive,it is not opening.Even if i press enter,it is not opening.I have to right click and select 'explore', only then it is opening in new window..

can someone help me to troubleshoot this problem?

Computer science news on Phys.org
What operating system?

Is this the drive that the OS is installed on?

rty640 said:
What operating system?

Is this the drive that the OS is installed on?

i am using windows xp..the os is installed on c: drive and i have 4 more drives..i have this problem in all drives..when i right click any hard drive,i am getting the first option as "Auto" and not "open" so i deleted the "autorun.inf" file in all drives and perfermed error checking for system files..it worked..but again that autorun.inf file created and the problem comes again..

1. What is the "Harddrive opening problem"?

The "Harddrive opening problem" refers to the difficulty or inability to access the contents of a hard drive, either due to physical damage or software issues.

2. What are the common causes of the "Harddrive opening problem"?

The most common causes of the "Harddrive opening problem" include physical damage to the hard drive, corrupted or damaged files, and software or operating system issues.

3. How can I fix the "Harddrive opening problem"?

The solution to the "Harddrive opening problem" depends on the cause. If the hard drive is physically damaged, it may need to be replaced or repaired by a professional. If the issue is software-related, troubleshooting methods such as running disk repair software or updating the operating system may help resolve the problem.

4. Can I recover data from a hard drive with the "Harddrive opening problem"?

In some cases, data can be recovered from a hard drive with the "Harddrive opening problem" using data recovery software or by seeking assistance from a professional data recovery service. However, this is not always guaranteed and may depend on the extent of the damage.

5. How can I prevent the "Harddrive opening problem" from happening?

To prevent the "Harddrive opening problem", it is important to regularly back up important data on a separate storage device and to handle the hard drive with care. Avoid exposing the hard drive to physical damage, and regularly update and maintain software to prevent issues that may cause the hard drive to become inaccessible.