Solving Harder Trig Identity - Peter's Question

In summary, Peter moved to the homework forum, and is having trouble with the numerator part of an identity. He has resolved the the denominator, but can't seem to find the steps needed to solve the equation. Jedishrfu provides a simplified version of the equation, which Peter follows easily.
peter270357
[mentor note] moved to homework forum hence no template.

HI,

I'm just having a bit of trouble with the numerator part of this identity ...

Resolving the the denominator is fairly straightforward but ..

Can anyone shed light on the final couple of steps

(sin^3 x - cos^3 x)/(sinx + cosx) = (csc^2 x - cotx - 2cos^2 x)/(1 - cot^2 x)

(sine cubed, cosine cubed, cosec squared, cosine squared, cotangent squared)

I hope I've transcribed it correctly .

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
for the LHS i used a multiplier/simplifier of (sinx - cosx)/(sin^2 x) and re-arrangement to achieve the denominator of the RHS
P

Where is your work?

I don't see any steps to solving it only the trig identity itself or is that where you are stuck.

Please be aware that we can't do your homework for you but can only provide hints once we see your work.

Lastly, have you noticed that LHS = s^3 - c^3 = (s - c) (s^2 + sc + c^2) = (s - c) * sc ?

Last edited:
peter270357 said:
for the LHS i used a multiplier/simplifier of (sinx - cosx)/(sin^2 x) and re-arrangement to achieve the denominator of the RHS
P
Where does anything like (sinx - cosx)/(sin2 x) appear on the left hand side ?

sorry sammy .. I meant top and bottom multiplied by that because it eliminates stuff and gives the denominator straight away but leaves the numerator slightly more complicated ...

It's not homework guys , just a challenge .... and the theory is that we learn a bit plus a bit of experience along the way ..

Jedishrfu ... yes I got that ... and used the fraction top and bottom to get the RHS denominator right away .. but the top is proving to be a pig .. unless there's something dead easy I'm missing

but tbh, Jedishrfu, I thought it was more like (s-c)* (1+ sc)

peter270357 said:
but tbh, Jedishrfu, I thought it was more like (s-c)* (1+ sc)
That is correct.

And you're multiplying that by another (s - c) . Right?
... then dividing by s2 .

The result follows quite directly after that.

yessss, it does ... thanks for that :-)

1. What are trig identities?

Trig identities are mathematical equations that involve trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. They are used to relate different trigonometric functions to each other and simplify complex expressions.

2. Why is solving harder trig identities challenging?

Solving harder trig identities can be challenging because it requires a strong understanding of trigonometric concepts and the ability to manipulate equations using various identities and trigonometric rules.

3. What are some strategies for solving harder trig identities?

Some strategies for solving harder trig identities include using known identities, manipulating the equations to isolate a single trig function, and substituting values for variables to simplify the expression.

4. How can I check if my trig identity solution is correct?

You can check if your trig identity solution is correct by plugging in the values of the variables into the original equation and simplifying both sides to see if they are equal.

5. What are some real-world applications of trig identities?

Trig identities have many real-world applications, including in navigation, robotics, and engineering. They are also used in fields such as physics, astronomy, and architecture to solve problems involving angles and distances.