Hardest AP PHysics lab EVERRRRRR

In summary, the conversation is about creating a rocket using a 2 liter soda bottle, water, and air. The goal is to determine a set of equations that will describe the thrust of the rocket as a function of time or mass. Possible equations that can be used include M*(delta)v=dm*Ve, Vf-Vi=Ve*ln(Mi/Mf), and Thrust= M(dv/dt) or Ve*(dM/dt). The conversation suggests starting with Newton's second law, F = \frac{d}{dt} mv, and using the chain rule because the mass is not constant.
the4thcafeavenue
now guys, i need your help. in this lab, i am making a rocket with a 2 litter soda bottle with water inside, and air will be pumped in so that rocket will fly up. i need to determine a set of equations that will describe the THRUST of my rocket as a function of TIME or MASS or both. we can use M*(delta)v=dm*Ve and Vf-Vi=Ve*ln(Mi/Mf) and whatever other equations will help. Thrust= M(dv/dt) or Ve*(dM/dt).

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with Newton's second law,

[tex] F = \frac{d}{dt} mv [/tex]

and keep in mind that mass is no longer constant, so you must apply the chain rule.

[tex] F = \frac{d}{dt}\left( mv\right) = v\frac{dm}{dt} + m\frac{dv}{dt} [/tex]

See what you can do from there.

--J

Wow, that does sound like a challenging lab! I can definitely understand why you need some help with determining the equations for thrust. Let's break it down step by step.

First, we need to understand what exactly we mean by thrust. In this case, we are looking at the force that propels the rocket upwards. From Newton's second law, we know that force is equal to mass times acceleration (F=ma). In this case, the mass of the rocket is changing as the water is being expelled, so we need to take that into account.

Next, we can use the equation you mentioned, M*(delta)v=dm*Ve, which relates the change in velocity (delta v) to the change in mass (delta m) and the exhaust velocity (Ve). This equation is derived from the conservation of momentum, where the momentum of the rocket (mass times velocity) must be equal to the momentum of the expelled water (mass times exhaust velocity).

We can also use the equation Vf-Vi=Ve*ln(Mi/Mf), which relates the final velocity (Vf) to the initial velocity (Vi) and the exhaust velocity (Ve), taking into account the change in mass (Mi/Mf).

Combining these two equations, we can come up with an expression for the thrust as a function of time and mass: Thrust = Ve*(dm/dt) = M*(dv/dt).

In simpler terms, this means that the thrust of your rocket is equal to the mass of the water being expelled per unit time multiplied by the exhaust velocity, or it can also be expressed as the mass of the rocket times the rate of change of its velocity.

I hope this helps and good luck with your lab! Remember to double check your equations and units to make sure everything is consistent.

1. What makes this AP Physics lab the hardest ever?

This lab is considered to be the hardest due to its complexity and difficulty in understanding the concepts involved. It requires a high level of critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. How can I prepare for the "Hardest AP Physics lab EVERRRRRR"?

To prepare for this lab, it is important to thoroughly review and understand the related physics concepts. It is also helpful to practice similar problems and experiments beforehand.

3. Is it necessary to have prior knowledge of physics to complete this lab?

Yes, a strong understanding of basic physics concepts and principles is crucial for successfully completing this lab. Without prior knowledge, it may be extremely challenging to comprehend and carry out the experiment.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid during this lab?

Some common mistakes to avoid include not carefully reading the instructions, not properly setting up the equipment, and not recording data accurately. It is important to pay attention to detail and follow the steps precisely.

5. How can I make the "Hardest AP Physics lab EVERRRRRR" less daunting?

Break down the lab into smaller, manageable tasks and work on them one at a time. Seek help from your teacher or classmates if you are struggling with a particular concept or step. Also, take breaks when needed to avoid feeling overwhelmed.