Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hardest Math Problem Ever?

1. Jul 9, 2009 #1
    Hi, my college professor gave me this brain teaser that I've been working at for a week but to no avail. Hopefully someone here can give me some assistance, because my professor won't.

Each natural number can be put into one of two categories: correct and incorrect. Each number will always be either incorrect or correct and will never change from one to the other.

Here are the examples he gave us: (note that the list of numbers is never-ending, he just gave us a small list)

Correct: 1-10, 12, 18, 20, 21, 24, 27, 30
    Incorrect: 11, 13-17, 19, 22, 23, 25, 26, 28, 29

Over the past week, I've gotten to tell me at least this: there is no pattern, no sequence. Each number can be looked at individually and can be categorized within a few seconds, though longer numbers take a little longer to figure out (i.e. 4135). No calculator is necessary to do the math.
    ... To categorize each number, one needs to perform TWO math operations, that is +, -, x, or division. No complex math or big numbers involved. A sixth grader has the math knowledge to solve this. The result you get from doing these two operations will give you a number that has a certain number property. The property is what tells you which category it gets put into.

Good luck!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2009 #2
    I think I can see it!

A hint (if I'm correct, and none of the examples have failed):
    You don't have to use any other, unrelated number on it (eg, you just don't (without a reason that relates this number to the original nubmer) divide by two). Just look at the number itself.

Another hint:
    Any two digit multiple of 10 will be correct.

And the answer (if I'm correct):
    A number is "correct" if the number is divisible by the sum of its digits. Else it is incorrect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook