Is My Computer's Failure to Boot a Hardware or Software Problem?

In summary, the person is seeking help with a custom tower computer that has a DVD, CD-rom, and floppy disk. They never used the computer online but a friend recently connected it without updating for viruses, causing the windows startup to not boot. The person has tried wiping the computer but it still won't start and they are wondering if there are any online programs that can help or if it is a hardware problem.
t-money
I have a custom tower with DVD,CD-rom and even floppy disk which I plan on replacing. It has a AMD athlon processor, and I never used this computer online. Recently a friend of mine hooked it up online (long story) without updating for viruses etc. Now the windows startup won't boot. And I have tried wiping but can't seem to get it started. Are there some programs that I can buy online or is this just a hardware problem?

Computer science news on Phys.org
It can be everything.

Or anything. What's it say when it won't boot?

t-money said:
I have a custom tower with DVD,CD-rom and even floppy disk which I plan on replacing. It has a AMD athlon processor, and I never used this computer online. Recently a friend of mine hooked it up online (long story) without updating for viruses etc. Now the windows startup won't boot. And I have tried wiping but can't seem to get it started. Are there some programs that I can buy online or is this just a hardware problem?
t-money,

Funny you mention it, another member is having similar problems, see advice in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=382493", my post #14, this may be of some help.

Rhody...

Last edited by a moderator:

Based on the information provided, it is likely that the issue is a combination of both hardware and software problems. The fact that the computer was not used online before and was then connected without proper virus protection could have caused a software issue, such as a virus or malware infection. However, the fact that the computer is not starting up and wiping has not resolved the issue suggests that there may also be a hardware problem, such as a malfunctioning component or damaged hardware.

To address this issue, it is recommended to first try to troubleshoot and fix any software problems by running a thorough virus scan and removing any detected threats. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to seek professional help to diagnose and repair any potential hardware problems. Additionally, it may be helpful to update the computer's drivers and operating system to ensure optimal performance and security. As for purchasing programs online, it is important to do thorough research and only purchase from reputable sources to avoid further potential issues.

1. What is the difference between a hardware and software problem?

A hardware problem refers to issues with physical components of a computer, such as the motherboard, hard drive, or keyboard. A software problem, on the other hand, relates to errors or malfunctions within the programs or operating system of the computer.

2. How can I determine if I have a hardware or software problem?

One way to determine the source of a problem is to troubleshoot and isolate the issue. If the problem persists after restarting the computer or running diagnostic tests, it is likely a hardware problem. If the issue can be resolved by updating or reinstalling software, it is likely a software problem.

3. Can a hardware problem cause software issues?

Yes, a malfunctioning hardware component can cause software problems. For example, a failing hard drive can result in corrupted files and programs not functioning properly.

4. How can I fix a hardware or software problem?

The solution to a hardware or software problem depends on the specific issue. For hardware problems, it may involve replacing the faulty component or seeking professional repair services. For software problems, solutions may include updating software, reinstalling programs, or troubleshooting the issue.

5. Is it possible for a hardware or software problem to cause data loss?

Yes, both hardware and software problems can result in data loss. A hardware failure, such as a hard drive crash, can lead to permanent data loss if not backed up. Similarly, a software issue, such as a virus or corrupted files, can also result in data loss if not resolved promptly.