Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hardwood floors - good or evil?

1. Apr 14, 2009 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just saw that someone plans to spend his tax return on hardwood floors.

Tsu and I have often discussed this. Why do people like hardwood floors so much? They make the room sound hollow; they are relatively high maintenance; you have the constant worry of scuff marks; they are much more difficult to repair than carpeting; they offer no cushioning in the even of a fall. It is funny in a way because when I was a kid, nice carpeting was considered a sign of wealth. It was a step up from the days of life on the farm.

I don't know how they compare to carpeting from an environmental point of view, but I know that many sold boast of how they use exotic woods from trees in tropical rain forests that are being decimated. My gut reaction is that this flies in the face of social [environmental] responsibility.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2009 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not willing to assume a priori that using exotic rainforest wood is even bad for the rainforest. If more people wanted to buy it that would raise the value of the wood and rainforest land, which would
    1. Make buying land for harvest more expensive ("good")
    2. Increase current landholder's (e.g. government of Brazil) wealth ("good")
    3. Raise living standard in rainforest areas ("good")
    4. By virtue of #3, increase the value placed on preservation ("good")
    5. Encourage tree farming ("good"/neutral)
    6. Encourage a movement of labor to lumber ("bad"/neutral)
    7. Increase wood-poaching rates ("bad")
    8. Increase cost of policing wood-poaching ("bad")

(#2 and #4 are very small effects, but I mention them for completeness.)

4. Apr 14, 2009 #3
    I grew up on hardwood floor. I admit that carpet is comfortable, but I think it is quite dirty, even though I vacuum and shampoo often, and it is especially annoying to worry about spitting coffee or beer or milk or whichever-you-prefer :smile:

5. Apr 14, 2009 #4

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think some are promoting bamboo floors because bamboo is stronger and renewable.

Hardwood floors, in theory are easier to clean.

6. Apr 14, 2009 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Easy to clean, good for people with allergies, lasts years
    I don't think it's too harmful to the environment - these are mostly pine/fir from Canada/USA/Scandinavia, not mahogany from virgin Brazilian rainforest.
    It's the same farmed timber that would be going into all the other timber in your house

7. Apr 14, 2009 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Pine/fir in floors? Mine are hardwood, which'll be oak or something similar.

Definitely a pref for wood floors here. Carpet is cheap. And dirty. Fine for dens. But nothing beats a beautiful hardwood living room floor.

8. Apr 14, 2009 #7

turbo

Gold Member

People with allergies or respiratory conditions often avoid carpets and pads because they are so difficult to clean properly, harboring dusts and molds, and can off-gas VOCs (especially when they are relatively new). Against this, domestically-produced hardwood looks pretty good. My wife and I moved in here in a hurry because the previous owner stalled and dawdled long past closing when he was supposed to get out. As a result, we had a local flooring company come in, rip up carpet and pads, and install Mannington "click-type" flooring that looks like white oak. It's OK, and we needed to have the job done quick. Eventually, we'll probably spring for hardwood flooring - either real white oak or rock-maple. It won't be real cheap per sq ft, but luckily this is a small house.

9. Apr 14, 2009 #8

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry, yes I was thinking of laminate/plywood ones.
    The oak/maple is still pretty much farmed though - the mills prefer young straight knot free lumber to 200year old heritage trees.

10. Apr 14, 2009 #9
    C'mon. You expect me to believe there is anything virgin in Brazil?

11. Apr 14, 2009 #10

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have spent the last two years (not full time) removing all my carpets and sanding the floorboards. They look amazing now, the wood is about 70 years old and has developed its own almost tobacco stain, they're a lovely orangey colour. There's no way I'd cover them with carpet, and I live with the draughts by putting slippers on.

12. Apr 14, 2009 #11
    I had a contractor do it. I bought an 80 year old house with some very bad carpeting in the living and dining rooms. I pulled that up with the intention of replacing it, but found a beautiful white oak parquet. It was stained in places from various things that had happened to it after it was first carpetted. It also has some very bad cut marks in the middle of the dining room where someone took a knife and cut something else, but the knife went through. And it was covered in shellac. The contractor didn't calculate the effect of shellac on his machines and on the time to completion so I wonder if he made any profit on the deal. We put a throw rug over the cut marks. The result is stunning.

13. Apr 14, 2009 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The most immediate question regarding exotic woods is: Is the industry sustainable, or are we using the wood much faster than it can be grown. None of the rest have any meaning if the industry isn't sustainable. Next, are the lands being replanted, or is this a one-time rape and pillage venture?

As for carpeting, I have no idea what the environmental costs may be. I do know that some are now made from recycled materials.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  14. Apr 14, 2009 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, but you guys in the UK are willing to live in drafty old stone castles too. :biggrin:

15. Apr 14, 2009 #14

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Indeed. Get a nice big log fire going, some decent cavity wall insulation, double glazing and thick curtains, the draught is good for fresh air!

16. Apr 14, 2009 #15

Pengwuino

Gold Member

FINALLY someone says it. What about when they're old and they creek? You can hear people walking all the time too, it's ridiculous! Plus it always feel like i get my socks/feet dirtier when i venture into the non-carpeted parts of our house... carpet is good people. Someone else said it but how in the world is it easier to clean? You have to clean it way more often and i think that makes up for the fact that cleaning carpet is a more involved process.

Penguins like carpet 4 to 1. Nuff said.

17. Apr 14, 2009 #16
    Most hardfloors can be cleaned very well with a simple sponge
    The way I see it, the only reason you don't clean your carpet so often is because you don't realize it's dirty. Dirt can hide in a carpet. On a good old hard floor, dirt can not escape. It's clean, shiny, and I can breath. :crazy: When did you last take a shower ? :hysterical:

18. Apr 14, 2009 #17

Pengwuino

Gold Member

As long as it's hidden, im fine with it :D

19. Apr 14, 2009 #18
    Here, I use my carpet for added warmth in the winter. The bedrooms are hard wood floors, and tile in the bath and kitchen. So I guess I enjoy a bit of everything.

20. Apr 14, 2009 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you ever heard of a vacuum cleaner and carpet shampooer? If you keep your carpet clean, you have a barrier between you and any dirt that filters down through the mat.

When it comes to vacuum cleaners, most people go down and buy a WalMart special for $49. That, or they get snookered by door-to-door salesmen selling hyped technology. Like anything, there are high quality vacuums, and then there is junk.

If you want the best, buy a Filter Queen.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  21. Apr 14, 2009 #20

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I see a lot that a lot of rooms with hardwood floors, also have rugs, which can be removed and cleaned outside.

And if they are cold, people can wear slippers or socks.

When inside, do not wear shoes. Many cultures leave shoes by the door, and do not wear shoes inside so as not to carry outside dirt and grime throughout the house.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook