Hardwork/natural intelligence

Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
In the world of academia, its a little different. They basically value your smarts above everythig else, which usually results in good work. <snip>
This is the second time I have seen you make this claim, yet provide no supporting evidence.

This is the second time I have seen you make this claim, yet provide no supporting evidence.
GREs that are timed.

another intelligence vs hardwork debate....its best if u got both.

if i were given a physics problem set, you know hwo they tend to be difficult? I coudl just keep workign hard at it, but never become CLEVER enough to find a solution. I dont think its all about intelligence, btut can your mind think things ina clever, new way, wthat will help you succeed. I can keep working at a problem, but if i cant think of something new, then i aint goign no where.

Feynman had a reportedly 120 IQ.
I have a 138 IQ, yet I am not a revolutionary physicist.
If all men are tall, does that mean all women are short? It's a simple logical fallacy.

I'm not sure how it is in physics, but at least in math, students who have been #1 all their lives hit the wall in grad school. Literally are unable to understand the material despite their best efforts.

Some average students do well, but then it turns out that they were only average because they've been bored with classes until now.

I'll bet any amount of money that the average (in terms of natural ability) undergrad math major would be eaten alive.

Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
GREs that are timed.
I don't understand- what does "GREs that are timed" have to do with a successfull career in academia?

I think the root of this debate is the Nature vs Nurture debate. Do you believe a person drops from the womb wired for astrophysics, or do experiences (not necessarily one-on-one tutoring from pre-school) shape a person's mind to do the same.

Yep, it's obviously a mixture. I don't contend that the average person can succeed in science, but I do think that people who are majoring in science can do well simply because people have a tendency to like what they are good at. I know there are special cases here and there, but generally, I believe that's true.

I love music, but I'm not good enough at it to pursue it, I love math, and I was good enough to pursue it. I believe many people follow this type of thought.

I don't understand- what does "GREs that are timed" have to do with a successfull career in academia?
For starters, it is what gets you through the door.

Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
For starters, it is what gets you through the door.
That may be. Nonetheless, you have not provided any evidence how that provides for a successful academic career. Many people get through the door, fewer people get out. There's many doors available.

All I am saying is that I don't understand your claim that IQ automatically translates into "good work". And I am asking you provide evidence (in the face of clear examples to the contrary) to substantiate your claim.

Providing evidence to support a theory is generally considered "good work" in academia.