Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium

1. Aug 7, 2006 #1
    Does anyone know if the 'Hardy' in the 'Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium' is G. H. Hardy? Or is (s)he some other Hardy, possibly a biologist?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

From wikipedia:'In population genetics, the Hardy–Weinberg principle (HWP) (also Hardy–Weinberg equilibrium (HWE), or Hardy–Weinberg law), named after G. H. Hardy and Wilhelm Weinberg'

Of course, that doesn't prove it's that G. H. Hardy!
  4. Aug 7, 2006 #3
    From http://www-gap.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Biographies/Hardy.html.
  5. Aug 8, 2006 #4
    I almost could not believe it was him, since in Apology he was quite explicit about his view on applications of math; and here he is contributing to something as 'applied' as biology!
  6. Aug 8, 2006 #5
    - Most of "HIgh Level" physics (Quantum field theory, Philosophy of QM and Science in General, String theory,..) Has no application at all !!!!!....

- I'm Physicist living in the "Third-World" country of Spain, of course i think is needless to say i'm unemployed, society only wants things that work and allow you to earn millions and millions, it's strange that Hardy got such a fame (good fame ) being only a pure applied mathematician.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?