Why can't the Tex have the same background color as the forum?

• Thread starter actionintegral
  • Start date
In summary, Firefox is a rebel browser that is trying to overthrow Microsoft and make positive change.
actionintegral
Please don't roll your eyes, but is there any way to get the Tex to have the same background color as the forum?

You're rolling your eyes...I can feel it!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not :rolleyes:, and I'd like to know that, too.

The tex images are transparent PNG

[tex] Jeepers! This is a perfectly transparent image! [/tex]

If I'm not mistaken (which I often am (which is why I don't use my real name)) a transparent image allows you to select the "transparent" color. Set that color to match the background of
the forum and it would be wicked-sweet, eye-roller.

Last edited:
actionintegral said:
[tex] Jeepers! This is a perfectly transparent image! [/tex]

If I'm not mistaken (which I often am (which is why I don't use my real name)) a transparent image allows you to select the "transparent" color. Set that color to match the background of
the forum and it would be wicked-sweet, eye-roller.

Are you using a current firefox or IE7 browser? It matches the background color for me.

It's not matching for me either. I have IE7 at work and the background looks white.

Oh sh********it! That means the problem is client side! I'm doomed. I'm using ncsa mosaic.

I mean lynx.

...Gopher...

Evo said:
It's not matching for me either. I have IE7 at work and the background looks white.

And at home? Could be a service pack thing. Both firefox and ie7 have support for transparent pngs

Greg Bernhardt said:
And at home? Could be a service pack thing. Both firefox and ie7 have support for transparent pngs
At work it could be the monitor filter.

IE7 here and it's all visible to me-eeee!

brewnog said:
IE7 here and it's all visible to me-eeee!

Some of you folks are running IE7? Our IS department here at work has warned us off of upgrading so far. Something about problems with Oracle (which is a big part of our database infrastructure) and some other incompatibilities.

Guess I'll just have to see white backgrounds for a little longer. Maybe I can ping IS too see if they'll make an exception for me so I can spend more time at work on the PF. Errr, scratch that idea.:uhh:

https://www.physicsforums.com/latex_images/11/1175577-0.png

It's current format, PNG, is 2200 bytes. A GIF of that same image is only 1700 bytes.

GIF's compression works best on limited colors. This is precisely the case. There are only two different colors. And GIF still retains perfect quality until you start using over several hundred separate colors. The advantage to GIF is that it is universally transparent. Even on older versions of IE, and other non-standard web browsers.

Newer is not always better. Why not stick with the old and try out GIF?

Last edited by a moderator:
The main reason people don't use GIF anymore is because it's patented by Unisys, who threatened pretty much everyone with lawsuits. PNG was the worldwide community's response.

The transparent LaTeX images do not have just two colors -- they have approximately thirty, used for anti-aliasing. In general, PNG has superior compression versus GIF. The image you chose is not representative of all images.

Perhaps you should just put IE7 where it belongs and use a better browser.

- Warren

chroot said:

That's easy to say, but the fact is something like 90% (I don't remember exactly) of Internet users still use Internet Explorer.

But I agree. If someone really cares about the transparency, he/she should get a better Web Browser.

chroot said:
BTW, for those of you experiencing transparency problems, please have a look at the following site, and tell me which images are not showing up properly there.

http://entropymine.com/jason/testbed/pngtrans/

- Warren

The only images that showed correct for me were T4, T6, G4 and M1.

I'm running IE6.0.29 SP2 on WinXP2002 SP2.

For me,
on IE6.0.29 SP2 on WinXPHome2002 SP2,
T4, T6, G4 are close... but no transparency (no background stripes in the rectangle), fading to grey background.
M1 and M2 are correct.
All others are incorrect.

on FF1.508 on WinXPHome2002 SP2,
all images were shown correctly.
(I have no transparency problems there or on PF.)

chroot said:
Oh Lord, how quick they are to step into the footsteps of their enemies...

The reason why Firefox exists is because everyone hated the Microsoftian attitude of "Majority rules. Everyone else can go screw themselves."

So the rebels rise up and try to bring down the enemy. But do they make any positive change in the regime? No, they simply seek to replace the dictator with one that suits their own needs. Status quo.

Good one.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
chroot said:
BTW, for those of you experiencing transparency problems, please have a look at the following site, and tell me which images are not showing up properly there.

http://entropymine.com/jason/testbed/pngtrans/

- Warren

All images show up for me correctly;

IE7, WinXP Home SP2

DaveC426913 said:
The reason why Firefox exists is because everyone hated the Microsoftian attitude of "Majority rules. Everyone else can go screw themselves."

Now the rebels rise up and, rather than put a democratic regime in, they simply seek to duplicate the old dictatorship.

I could care less if MS was a dictatorship if only they made quality products. Firefox was more-or-less brought up because of MS's lack of concern on security and standards. It's scary when some 80% of users still use IE6 when it's nearly 6 years old! How long do we wait till we implement "modern" techniques and technologies. Firefox is not perfect, but it's much better than even IE7. Even Opera is a nice browser.

Last edited:
Hootenanny said:
All images show up for me correctly;

IE7, WinXP Home SP2
That's what I have on my weekend PC; works fine.

Greg Bernhardt said:
It's scary when some 80% of users still use IE6 when it's nearly 6 years old!
I access PF using three different machines:
Weekends: IE7 (just upgraded!)
Office: IE6
Home (evenings): IE5! :uhh: (Should probably throw that one in the trash--but I use it every night!)

What does it mean to wonder harmlessly?

Harmlessly wondering refers to the act of contemplating or pondering without causing harm or negative consequences. It involves thinking deeply and curiously about something without any harmful intentions.

Why is it important to harmlessly wonder?

Harmlessly wondering allows us to explore our thoughts and ideas without causing harm to ourselves or others. It can lead to new insights and perspectives, helping us to learn and grow as individuals.

What are some examples of harmless wondering?

Examples of harmless wondering include daydreaming, pondering philosophical questions, and thinking about abstract concepts. It can also involve questioning the world around us and seeking answers or understanding.

Is it possible for harmless wondering to turn harmful?

While harmless wondering itself is not harmful, it is possible for it to lead to harmful actions or thoughts if left unchecked. It is important to be mindful of our thoughts and intentions and to seek guidance if we feel our harmless wondering is becoming harmful.

How can harmless wondering benefit society?

Harmless wondering can lead to new ideas and innovations that can benefit society. It can also promote critical thinking and open-mindedness, helping to create a more understanding and empathetic society.