Harmonic Analysis with Ansys APDL: Obtaining Strain and Stress Solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Ansys APDL for harmonic analysis and obtaining strain and stress solutions. The individual has already checked the Ansys documentation and an example, but is still unable to obtain the necessary information. They also mention a previous version of Ansys that had a "design opt" feature for design optimization, but it is not available in their current version. They are looking for advice on how to apply design optimization and update their FE model with harmonic test results.
Tonino Sepe
Hi everyone,
I have done the Harmonic Analysis of my model with Ansys APDL 17.0 (ACADEMIC version), and I have obtained only the DOF solution of my nodes but i need the Strain and Stress solution . How can I get it?
Thanks.
Tonino Sepe.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have already checked the Ansys documentation and the example, i know how to plot the strain of a node vs frequency range but the problem is that these informations after the analysis there aren't. I don't know why.

Are you sure your problem is coming to a solution?

I think yes, the analysis is correct.

HI,
i was using ANSYS APDL 12 and there was a "design opt" in the main menu tree to the left. it s for design optimization. however now i built my model in ansys apdl 15 but there s no longer "design opt" in it. any ideas how to apply design optimization in apdl 15??
thanks

Sorry, I haven't used the feature you're trying to. What specific features of your geometry are you trying to optimize for harmonic response?

Mech_Engineer said:
Sorry, I haven't used the feature you're trying to. What specific features of your geometry are you trying to optimize for harmonic response?
I m trying to update my FE model with the harmonic test results (i.e. compare FRF results from analysis and test)

What is harmonic analysis in Ansys APDL?

Harmonic analysis in Ansys APDL is a method of solving mechanical engineering problems that involve dynamic loading, such as vibrations and oscillations. It takes into account the frequency content of the loading and calculates the response of the system at each frequency.

What types of problems can be solved using harmonic analysis in Ansys APDL?

Harmonic analysis in Ansys APDL is commonly used to solve problems related to vibrations and oscillations, such as structural dynamics, modal analysis, and natural frequency analysis. It can also be used for steady-state thermal analysis and to study the effects of harmonic loading on mechanical systems.

What are the advantages of using harmonic analysis in Ansys APDL?

Harmonic analysis in Ansys APDL allows for a more accurate and comprehensive analysis of dynamic loading compared to traditional static analysis. It can also provide insight into the frequency response of a system, which is useful for optimizing design parameters and identifying potential failure modes.

What are the limitations of harmonic analysis in Ansys APDL?

One limitation of harmonic analysis in Ansys APDL is that it assumes linearity of the system, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, it may not be suitable for solving problems with highly complex geometries or nonlinear material properties.

How does harmonic analysis in Ansys APDL work?

Harmonic analysis in Ansys APDL involves breaking down a complex dynamic loading into multiple simpler harmonic load cases, each with a specific frequency and amplitude. The software then solves for the response of the system at each frequency, and the results are combined to obtain the overall response. This process is repeated for each load case to obtain a frequency response curve for the system.