1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harmonic conjugates

1. Oct 30, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If [itex]w = u(x,y)+iy(x,y)[/itex] is an analytic function then
    [itex]\phi(x,y) = u(x,y)v(x,y)[/itex]
    is harmonic, where u and v are the real and imaginary parts of w.
    What is the harmonic conjugate of [itex]\phi[/itex]?

2. Relevant equations
    So I know for analytic functions the Cauchy-Riemann equations:
    [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial v}{\partial y}[/itex] and
    [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial y} = -\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}[/itex]

And for a harmonic function:
    [itex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial y^2}=0[/itex] and
    [itex]\frac{\partial^2v}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2v}{\partial y^2}=0[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to find a function [itex]\Phi[/itex] that would satisfy:
    [itex]\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial dy}=\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial dx}[/itex] and
    [itex]\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial dx}=-\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial dy}[/itex]

for which I obtained:
    [itex]\Phi = \int \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} v + \frac{\partial v}{\partial x} u \partial y[/itex] and
    [itex]\Phi = \int \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} v + \frac{\partial v}{\partial y} u \partial x[/itex][/quote]

But I have no idea if this is correct, or relevant to finding the harmonic conjugate.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2011 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

consider w2

4. Oct 30, 2011 #3
    Thanks for this lurflurf. So I get
    [itex]w^2 = u^2 - v^2[/itex]

I really have no idea what to do with this, could you kindly give me another little hint?

5. Oct 30, 2011 #4

lurflurf

Homework Helper

That is not w2 that is Re[w2] what about Im[w2]?
    alternatively try to write
    (uv)x=uxv+uvx
    (uv)y=uyv+uvy
    in terms of oposite partials via Cauchy-Riemann equations

6. Oct 30, 2011 #5
    I'm confused by this. I'm trying to understand, but I don't know how to get any expression for the conjugate.

7. Nov 1, 2011 #6

lurflurf

Homework Helper

If cannot guess the conjugate what you started doing with integrals would also work, the next step is to use the Cauchy-Riemann equations to that your integrals and partials are with respect to the same variables thus giving an answer without partials.

8. Nov 1, 2011 #7
    May I make a suggestion: If f=u+v is analytic, then u and v are harmonic and so satisfy Laplace's equation each of them. That is, u_xx+u_yy=0, and v_xx+v_yy=0 and also if f is analytic then u and v satisfy the Cauchy Riemann equations. Well there you go: For:

[tex]g=uv[/tex]

compute:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 g}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial^2 g}{\partial y^2}[/tex]

using the chain rule, and use what I've just said to show it's zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook