Harmonic form question help

In summary: I understand this now.In summary, the expression $$4sin\theta-3cos\theta$$ can be expressed in the form $$5sin(\theta-36.9^{\circ})$$. Using this form, we can find the local maximum and minimum values of the function $$\frac{7}{4sin\theta-3cos\theta+2}$$. However, since the denominator approaches 0 at certain points, there is no global maximum or minimum value for the function. The local minimum occurs when $$5sin(\theta-36.9^{\circ}) = 5$$, resulting in a value of 1 for the function. Similarly, the local maximum occurs when $$5sin
Theodore Hodson

Homework Statement

Express $$4sin\theta-3cos\theta$$ in the form $$rsin(\theta-\alpha)$$
Hence find the maximum and minimum values of $$\frac{7}{4sin\theta-3cos\theta+2}$$
State the greatest and least values.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so putting it in the $$rsin(\theta-\alpha)$$ form I get $$5sin(\theta-36.9^{\circ})$$

Which means $$\frac{7}{4sin\theta-3cos\theta+2}=\frac{7}{5sin(\theta-36.9^{\circ})+2}$$Now if I understand correctly it follows that $$\frac{7}{5sin(\theta-36.9^{\circ})+2}=\frac{7}{5}cosec(\theta-36.9^{\circ})+2$$

I understand the greatest and least values part of the question- they would be +infinity and -infinity as it's a cosec graph. It's just I can't seem to arrive at the answer that's in my textbook for the maximum and minimum values bit.
The textbook says the max value is $$\frac{-7}{3}$$ and that the min value is $$\frac{7}{8}$$

By my own calculations the max value would be 17/5 and the min value would be 3/5. I got this by evaluating $$\frac{7}{5}cosec(\theta-36.9^{\circ})+2$$ when $$cosec(\theta-36.9^{\circ})$$ is equal to 1 and -1

However I know this is wrong because I drew the graph on some graph drawing software which showed a maximum value of -7/3 (what my textbook got) and a minimum value of 1 (curiously my textbook said the minimum value was 7/8).

So basically I'm a bit confused, got conflicting information from my textbook and from the graph drawing software. I actually think that there might be something that I don't understand quite fundamentally here so I would appreciate any help to clear up this misunderstanding and solve the problem.

Thanking you

Physics news on Phys.org
Theodore Hodson said:

Homework Statement

Express $$4sin\theta-3cos\theta$$ in the form $$rsin(\theta-\alpha)$$
Hence find the maximum and minimum values of $$\frac{7}{4sin\theta-3cos\theta+2}$$
State the greatest and least values.

Homework Equations

Okay so putting it in the $$rsin(\theta-\alpha)$$ form I get $$5sin(\theta-36.9^{\circ})$$

Which means $$\frac{7}{4sin\theta-3cos\theta+2}=\frac{7}{5sin(\theta-36.9^{\circ})+2}$$Now if I understand correctly it follows that $$\frac{7}{5sin(\theta-36.9^{\circ})+2}=\frac{7}{5}cosec(\theta-36.9^{\circ})+2$$

This is not correct. You cannot split the fraction like that.
Theodore Hodson said:
I understand the greatest and least values part of the question- they would be +infinity and -infinity as it's a cosec graph. It's just I can't seem to arrive at the answer that's in my textbook for the maximum and minimum values bit.
The textbook says the max value is $$\frac{-7}{3}$$ and that the min value is $$\frac{7}{8}$$

By my own calculations the max value would be 17/5 and the min value would be 3/5. I got this by evaluating $$\frac{7}{5}cosec(\theta-36.9^{\circ})+2$$ when $$cosec(\theta-36.9^{\circ})$$ is equal to 1 and -1

However I know this is wrong because I drew the graph on some graph drawing software which showed a maximum value of -7/3 (what my textbook got) and a minimum value of 1 (curiously my textbook said the minimum value was 7/8).

So basically I'm a bit confused, got conflicting information from my textbook and from the graph drawing software. I actually think that there might be something that I don't understand quite fundamentally here so I would appreciate any help to clear up this misunderstanding and solve the problem.

Thanking you

The question makes no sense unless you are restricting ##\theta## to a certain range, as the function is unbounded.

Also how can ##-7/3## be a maximum and ##7/8## be a minimum? That makes no sense either.

Theodore Hodson said:
... The

Which means $$\frac{7}{4sin\theta-3cos\theta+2}=\frac{7}{5sin(\theta-36.9^{\circ})+2}$$It's fine up to this point. The next step is incorrect.

Now if I understand correctly it follows that $$\frac{7}{5sin(\theta-36.9^{\circ})+2}=\frac{7}{5}cosec(\theta-36.9^{\circ})+2$$
As the denominator → 0, ##\displaystyle \ \left|\frac{7}{5\sin(\theta-36.9^{\circ})+2}\right|\ ## gets very large, so there is no global minimum or maximum.

This expression does have local minima & maxima .

SammyS said:
As the denominator → 0, ##\displaystyle \ \left|\frac{7}{5\sin(\theta-36.9^{\circ})+2}\right|\ ## gets very large, so there is no global minimum or maximum.

This expression does have local minima & maxima .

Right okay I see my mistake now. It's the ##+2## in the denominator that complicates things right? Say if it were just ##\frac{7}{5sin(\theta-36.9^{\circ})}## then you could simplify that to ##\frac{7}{5}cosec(\theta-36.9^{\circ})##.

Right so going back to the correct form of the function ##\frac{7}{5\sin(\theta-36.9^{\circ})+2}##.

As you say there is no global maximum or minimum because the function tails off to plus and minus infinity at certain points. The value of the function at its local minima will be when ##5sin(\theta-36.9^{\circ})## is equal to ##5## and the value at its local maxima will be when ##5sin(\theta-36.9^{\circ})## is equal to ##-5##.

So for local minima, f(x) is ##1## and for local maxima f(x) is ##-\frac{7}{3}##. And this is consistent with what I see when I graph this on my computer.

Thank-you very much for helping me

1. What is harmonic form?

Harmonic form refers to the organization and arrangement of musical elements, specifically chords and melodies, in a piece of music. It involves how these elements are structured and relate to each other to create a sense of harmony and coherence.

2. How does harmonic form affect a piece of music?

Harmonic form can greatly impact the overall sound and feel of a piece of music. It can create a sense of tension and release, guide the listener's emotional response, and contribute to the overall structure and development of the piece.

3. What are some common harmonic forms used in music?

There are various harmonic forms used in music, such as binary form, ternary form, rondo form, and sonata form. These forms have different structures and characteristics, and are often used in different musical genres.

4. How can I identify the harmonic form of a piece of music?

To identify the harmonic form of a piece of music, you can listen for recurring themes or patterns, pay attention to the structure and progression of chords and melodies, and look for any key changes or variations in the music.

5. Can harmonic form be changed or altered in a piece of music?

Yes, harmonic form can be changed or altered in a piece of music. This can be done through techniques such as modulation, chord substitutions, and variation in melodies. These changes can add interest and complexity to the music.