Frequency of Resultant Periodic Function from Sum of Three Harmonic Functions

In summary, three harmonic functions of frequencies p, 2p, and 3p were added together to create a resultant periodic function. The frequency of the resulting function is p. This can be determined by adding the sinusoids graphically or mathematically using trigonometric relations. The final frequency will occur after one period of the first signal, resulting in a frequency of p.
praveenpandiyan

Homework Statement

three harmonic function of frequency p, 2p ,3p were added together. what is the frequency of resultant periodic function?

Homework Equations

X=Asin(wt)
A-amplitude w-frequency
X=X1+X2+X3

The Attempt at a Solution

need a hint ..

Physics news on Phys.org
You could try sketching the 3 sinusoids, and then adding them graphically. Sum 2 first, then to that add the third, and look for the period of the resultant.

But I think you should be able to do this mathematically. Do you have an equation from trigonometry:
sin A + sin B = ...

yes sir but I don't hv known limits in Grapically ..only freq . so by trignometricaL relation i tried it( as u said) ..with sin A+sinB=(1/2)*sin((1/2)(A+b))*Cos((1/2)(A-B)). . i get in the form sin*cos+Sin(C)
AND no use of sin A*cosB.. how to proceed here

resultant frequency X=p. Any IDEA how they got it

praveenpandiyan said:
so by trignometricaL relation i tried it( as u said) ..with sin A+sinB=(1/2)*sin((1/2)(A+b))*Cos((1/2)(A-B))
now let B=2A when you are summing a frequency with its double frequency

praveenpandiyan said:
yes sir but I don't hv known limits in Grapically ..only freq
So, you plot for just a few cycles. Periodic waveforms are repetitive, what happens during one period also happens during the next period, so you just need to discover the period, and shape of waveform for one cycle.

thanks Nas .. i got the solution...sinusoids having frequencies in integer multiple of (f) have net freq (f) when addded together..when i consider by t=1/f ..its pretty clear final net freq occur only after first signal ..so answer is P

What is harmonic function?

Harmonic function refers to a mathematical function that repeats itself periodically, such as a sine wave or cosine wave. It is commonly used to describe physical phenomena, such as sound and light waves, that exhibit a repeating pattern.

How is harmonic function related to vibration?

Harmonic function and vibration are closely related because vibration is a type of motion that follows a harmonic pattern. When an object vibrates, it moves back and forth in a regular and repeating manner, which can be described using a harmonic function.

What is the difference between a harmonic function and a non-harmonic function?

The main difference between a harmonic function and a non-harmonic function is that a harmonic function follows a periodic pattern, while a non-harmonic function does not. In other words, a non-harmonic function does not repeat itself in a regular manner and may have more complex or irregular behavior.

How is harmonic function used in music and sound?

Harmonic function plays a crucial role in music and sound. The different notes and tones produced in music are based on harmonic frequencies and are created by combining different harmonic functions. Similarly, sound waves are also made up of a combination of harmonic functions, which determine the pitch and timbre of the sound.

What are some real-world examples of harmonic function?

Harmonic function can be observed in various real-world phenomena, such as the movement of a pendulum, the motion of a mass on a spring, and the behavior of light waves. It is also commonly used in engineering and design, such as in the construction of bridges and buildings to ensure stability and avoid unwanted vibrations.