1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harmonic function

1. Dec 4, 2005 #1
    I am to find a function U, harmonic on the disk [tex] x^2 + y^2 < 6 [/tex] and satisfying
    [tex] u(x, y) = y + y^2 [/tex] on the disk's boundary. I am not sure where to start. Hints, help, anything?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use the integral formula.
  4. Dec 4, 2005 #3

Gold Member

I would think Cauchy's integral formual would be useful here: you have the value of a function on a boudry and want the value in the interior.
  5. Dec 4, 2005 #4
    You are trying to solve the Laplace equation on a disk. Try seperation of variables, then break it down to 2 ODE's. Here is a start for you..

You will probably need to solve the PDE in polar coordinates.

- harsh
  6. Dec 4, 2005 #5
    Then is [tex] u(\sqrt{6}, \theta) = \sqrt{6} \sin(\theta) + 6\sin^2(\theta) [/tex] a boundary condition?
  7. Dec 4, 2005 #6
    Looks right. Make sure you solve the correct PDE, the laplacian in r,theta is not as simple as U_rr and U_theta*theta

- harsh
  8. Dec 5, 2005 #7
    I know. In an earlier problem I had to compute the laplacian in polar. Oh and one more thing, is there anything else I need to know about [tex] \theta [/tex]? Other than [tex] 0 < \theta < 2\pi [/tex] ?
  9. Dec 5, 2005 #8
    The theta condition that you are going to use, I believe, will be that theta is 2pi periodic.

- harsh
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?