1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harmonic function

1. Nov 9, 2008 #1
    Hi

I have the harmonic mean H(n) of the divisors of a positive integer n. I need to show that if n is perfect number, then H(n) must be an integer.

1/H(n)={1/τ(n)}Σ(1/d)

I have found that

H(n)=nτ(n)/σ(n)
    H(n)=τ(n)/2

How can I conclude that this is an integer?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2008 #2
    The sum of reciprocals of divisors of a perfect number is always equal to 2 if the number itself is considered as a divisor. If, in your problem it is not, then we have that the sum of reciprocals of proper divisors is equal to 1 and the result is trivial.

If it is the case that the standard divisor function is considered, one needs to show that the number of divisors of a perfect number (including itself) is even, which I haven't been able to prove yet.

4. Nov 19, 2008 #3

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

An even perfect number is of the form 2^(p-1) * (2^p - 1) where 2^p - 1 is prime, so it has 2p divisors.

An odd perfect number is of the form p^(4a+1) * n^2 with gcd(p, n) = 1, so it has an even number of divisors (in fact, the number of divisors is divisible by 2 and not by 4).

5. Nov 19, 2008 #4
    Oh yeah, Euler's result. There we are then.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?