1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harmonic Functions and Gauss' Theorem

1. May 7, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let f be an element of C^2 (R^3=> R) be harmonic in the ball |x|< 1 (i.e. the laplace of f would be 0). Prove that f = 0 inside if it vanishes on the surface |x|=1. What if the dF/dn=0 (partial derivative) on the surface |x|=1 [What is div(f grad f)]?

Also think of heat flow in the ball. The temperature T= T(t,x) obeys the heat equation dT/dt = laplace of T (partial derivative of the heat equation is equal to the laplace of T). For steady temperatures dT/dt = 0, so T is harmonic. Interpret the results about t in this setting.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Very faint idea on how to start, so the following might be completely wrong.

Proving that f=0 if it vanishes on the surface of the ball at |x|=1 and if the partial derivative of df/dn = 0 on the surface.
    I'm assuming that x in this problem is a vector in R^3.

From the second half, I figured that d^2T/dt^2 + d^2T/dx^2 = dT / dt.
    I'm assuming that x is a vector in R^3 from the first half of the problem.
    In any case, I assumed that if dT/dt = 0, no heat is coming in or out.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?