Harmonic Functions: Proving Constantness

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a harmonic function and how to prove that a function is constant if it is both harmonic and its exponential is also harmonic. It involves using the chain rule and adding the two sets of double partials, ultimately leading to the conclusion that in order for the function to be harmonic, its first partials must be zero, making it a constant function.
Gh0stZA
Hi everyone,
if I could get a push in the right direction with this question I'd really appreciate it:

Let [tex]u: \mathbb{R} ^2 \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex] be given. Show that if both [tex]u = u(x,y)[/tex] and [tex]e^u (x,y)[/tex] are harmonic then [tex]u[/tex] must be constant.

Physics news on Phys.org
To be harmonic, a function must satisfy
[tex]\nabla u= \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}+ \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial y^2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial e^u}{\partial x}= \frac{\partial u}{\partial x}e^u[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 e^u}{\partial x^2}= \frac{\partial u}{\partial x^2}e^u+ \left(\partial u}{\partial x}\right)^2 e^u[/tex]

Do the same with the y variable and add.

Thank you.

So we know:
[tex]e^u \left( \frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial y^2} \right) = \Delta u[/tex]
and
[tex]\Delta u = \frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial x^2} u + \frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial y^2} u = 0 + 0 = 0[/tex]

So we can say:
[tex]e^u \left( \frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial y^2} \right) = 0[/tex]

While [tex]e^u[/tex] is not zero, how can I prove that it's a constant from here on?

I think I made a mistake.

[tex]\frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial x^2} u + \frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial y^2} u = \frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial y^2}[/tex] is it not?

[tex]e^u \left( \frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial y^2} \right) = \left( \frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial y^2} \right) [/tex]

and

[tex]e^u = 1 \Rightarrow u = 0[/tex] which is a constant.

I think you're having problems with this Ghost. Look, I fixed Hall's Latex here:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 e^u}{\partial x^2}= \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}e^u+ \left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right)^2 e^u[/tex]

See, that's the second partial with respect to x. Now you compute the second partial with respect to y. Do the first partial, then using the chain-rule, get the second partial. Now add up the two sets. Since u is harmonic, the u_xx+u_yy term will drop out since it's zero right. Now, what must the remaining part of that sum be if it is to be harmonic, that is, if it is to equal zero? Keep in mind e^u is never zero for any value of u.

jackmell said:
I think you're having problems with this Ghost. Look, I fixed Hall's Latex here:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 e^u}{\partial x^2}= \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}e^u+ \left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right)^2 e^u[/tex]

See, that's the second partial with respect to x. Now you compute the second partial with respect to y. Do the first partial, then using the chain-rule, get the second partial. Now add up the two sets. Since u is harmonic, the u_xx+u_yy term will drop out since it's zero right. Now, what must the remaining part of that sum be if it is to be harmonic, that is, if it is to equal zero? Keep in mind e^u is never zero for any value of u.

Okay so we have:
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 e^u}{\partial y^2}= \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial y^2}e^u+ \left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\right)^2 e^u[/tex]

If we add them together:
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 e^u}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2 e^u}{\partial y^2} = \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}e^u + \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial y^2}e^u + \left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right)^2 e^u + \left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\right)^2 e^u[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 e^u}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2 e^u}{\partial y^2} = e^u (0) + \left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right)^2 e^u + \left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\right)^2 e^u[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 e^u}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2 e^u}{\partial y^2} = \left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right)^2 e^u + \left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\right)^2 e^u[/tex]

[tex]e^u \left( \frac{\partial^2 }{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2}{\partial y^2} \right) = e^u \left( \left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\right)^2 \right)[/tex]

Am I right up to here?

Gh0stZA said:
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 e^u}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2 e^u}{\partial y^2} = \left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right)^2 e^u + \left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\right)^2 e^u[/tex]

Don't do the last step. So just consider the next to last expression written as:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 e^u}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2 e^u}{\partial y^2} = e^u\left[\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\right)^2 \right][/tex]

Now, in order for the function e^u to be harmonic, then the sum of the double partials on the left have to be zero right. So, if that has to be zero, then the right then has to be zero, but e^u is never zero. So that means, in order for e^u to be harmonic, that sum in the brackets has to be zero. But the squares mean that it's always positive or zero. But in order for it to be zero, then each first partial has to be zero. Well, there you go. What kind of function has it's first derivative zero?

Thank you, I get it now. :)

1. What are harmonic functions?

Harmonic functions are mathematical functions that satisfy the Laplace equation, which states that the sum of the second partial derivatives of the function with respect to its independent variables is equal to zero. In simpler terms, harmonic functions have a constant rate of change and are smooth and continuous.

2. How do you prove that a function is constant?

To prove that a function is constant, you can show that its first and second partial derivatives are equal to zero. This is because a constant function has a rate of change of zero, meaning that its first derivative is equal to zero, and its second derivative is also equal to zero.

3. Why is proving constantness important in harmonic functions?

Proving constantness in harmonic functions is important because it allows us to identify and classify these functions, which are used extensively in physics, engineering, and mathematics. Additionally, constantness is a key property that helps us solve differential equations involving harmonic functions.

4. What are some real-life applications of harmonic functions?

Some examples of real-life applications of harmonic functions include analyzing electric and magnetic fields, fluid flow, heat transfer, and vibrations. They are also used in image processing, signal processing, and data compression.

5. How can I improve my understanding of harmonic functions and constantness?

To improve your understanding of harmonic functions and constantness, it is important to practice solving problems and working through proofs involving these concepts. You can also read textbooks or watch online lectures on the topic. Additionally, seeking out a mentor or joining a study group can also help you gain a deeper understanding of these mathematical concepts.