Exploring Harmonic Motion and Strobe Phenomenon

In summary, harmonic motion is when an object pretty much goes back and forth, right? Harmonic motion is when an object pretty much goes back and forth, right? There is a little bit more to it then that. Consider a point on a rotating circle, now if you rotate the circle till all you see is the edge, or a line, the way the point moves along that line is SMH. It will move faster in the middle then at the ends. This predictable and repetitive motion is essential to SMH. Also, what does the word 'strobe' mean? I once heard a member here say that if our eyes worked like a camera and took a picture 60 times a second that a light that
KingNothing
Harmonic motion is when an object pretty much goes back and forth, right?

Also, what does the word 'strobe' mean? I once heard a member here say that if our eyes worked like a camera and took a picture 60 times a second that a light that flashed 61 times per second would appear to strobe at one flash per second. Why is this? What if the light flashed at 38 times per second?

Also, what does it mean for one thing to be 'in harmony' with another object?
What does it mean to be 'in phase'?

This is just an area I feel I'm lacking in knowledge so I'm asking for help.

Physics news on Phys.org
KingNothing said:
Harmonic motion is when an object pretty much goes back and forth, right?
There is a little bit more to it then that. Consider a point on a rotating circle, now if you rotate the circle till all you see is the edge, or a line, the way the point moves along that line is SMH. It will move faster in the middle then at the ends. This predictable and repetitive motion is essential to SMH.
Also, what does the word 'strobe' mean? I once heard a member here say that if our eyes worked like a camera and took a picture 60 times a second that a light that flashed 61 times per second would appear to strobe at one flash per second. Why is this? What if the light flashed at 38 times per second?
A strobe is simply that, a light source which flashes on and off at a regular rate.
Also, what does it mean for one thing to be 'in harmony' with another object?
I have no clue.
What does it mean to be 'in phase'?
Suppose you had two circles with moving particles as I described above, if the the points on each circle are at the same place (both at an the same end point moving in the same direction, both at the center, moving in the same direction, they are said to be in phase. On the other hand if one is in the center while the other is at the end they are out of phase.
This is just an area I feel I'm lacking in knowledge so I'm asking for help.

I hope this is of some help.

Say object A moves in a random pattern but repeats this pattern once every 4 seconds.
Say Object B moves in another random pattern but repeats it every 8 seconds.

Will object A be 'in phase' with object B at t=8 seconds?
If object B is started in motion 2 seconds before object A, will they be in phase 2 seconds after that?
Does being 'in phase' mean that two things are at the same spot in their individual cycles? (i.e. 1/4 done)
Does it mean that they are at the same point in the same cycle?

Finally, by SMH do you mean simple harmonic motion?

KingNothing said:
Say object A moves in a random pattern but repeats this pattern once every 4 seconds.
Say Object B moves in another random pattern but repeats it every 8 seconds.

Will object A be 'in phase' with object B at t=8 seconds?

If object B is started in motion 2 seconds before object A, will they be in phase 2 seconds after that?
I have no idea. SHM is not random motion.
Does being 'in phase' mean that two things are at the same spot in their individual cycles? (i.e. 1/4 done)
Does it mean that they are at the same point in the same cycle?
Yes. waveforms with different frequency do not have constant phase relationship.
Finally, by SMH do you mean simple harmonic motion?
Who me,.. dyslexic? :uhh:

Last edited:
I didn't say random motion. I said random patterns. It's possible for the path of motion to be random but the motion itself still predictable. What I mean is, for instance, look at a trail going through a thick woods. It will wind all over the place somewhat randomly, yet if a jogger goes the exact same route over and over the motion will be completely predictable (cyclical).

Does harmonic motion only occur in geometric shapes like circles and sine waves?

That could be termed Periodic motion, but it is not SHM.

When it comes to oscillations,it's more important to consider the frequency or the period to be constant.The amplitude may vary (damping),but the frequency better stay constant.

As for harmonic,usually yes,but keep this adjective out of the realms of mathematics,because there it means something else...

Daniel.

What does it mean in mathematics? I'm assuming it's calculus, correct?

Frequency and period are pretty much the same thing, right? At least, interchangeable? What I mean is, they are both different ways of measuring a "how often" variable?

Why must frequency remain constant? Does it always remain constant? Is this how different wireless devices keep all their information streams separate?

1. What is harmonic motion?

Harmonic motion refers to the repetitive movement of an object around an equilibrium point, where the force acting on the object is proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point. Examples of harmonic motion include a simple pendulum or a mass on a spring.

2. How is harmonic motion related to strobe?

Strobe refers to a type of lighting that produces short, intense bursts of light. When used with an object in harmonic motion, the strobe light can make the object appear to be moving in slow motion or even appear still. This is because the strobe light flashes at a frequency that is synchronized with the motion of the object, creating an illusion of slow or stopped motion.

3. What is the significance of the frequency of the strobe light in harmonic motion experiments?

The frequency of the strobe light is crucial in harmonic motion experiments as it determines the illusion of motion. The strobe light frequency must match the frequency of the object's motion to create the desired effect. If the frequencies do not match, the object will not appear to be moving in slow motion or still.

4. Can harmonic motion and strobe be used to study other types of motion?

Yes, harmonic motion and strobe can be used to study other types of motion, such as circular motion or rotational motion. By adjusting the frequency of the strobe light, researchers can capture the motion of these objects in slow motion or still, making it easier to study and analyze their movements.

5. How is harmonic motion and strobe used in practical applications?

Harmonic motion and strobe are used in various practical applications, including high-speed photography and film-making. By using a strobe light, filmmakers can create slow-motion effects without the need for expensive high-speed cameras. Strobe is also used in sports analysis to study the movements of athletes and improve their performance.