1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harmonic motion of a string - Find energy

1. Jun 1, 2004 #1
    When a mass m, hanging from a string with spring constant k, is set into up-and-down simple harmonic motion, it has a period of vibration T, which is given by the equation T=2*pi*sqrt(m/k). The amount of elastic potential energy PE stored in the spring at any given instant is dependent on its spring constant k ant its elongation x. Determine the potential energy stored in the spring, PE, in terms of m, T, and x.

I got PE=mgh
    m would be the mass in the string and h would be the elongation, but what about acceleration?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2004 #2
    Use the equation T=2*pi*sqrt(m/k) and solve for k. Get that and sub in what you got for k into PE=.5kx^2

Last edited: Jun 2, 2004
  4. Jun 2, 2004 #3
    They don't give you a relation point for the gravitational potential energy, so I will assume it to be zero at x = 0. The total potential energy is the sum of the gravitational potential energy and the elastic potential energy:

[tex]E_p = E_{p_g} + E_{p_{ele}} = mgx + \frac{1}{2}kx^2[/tex]

And K you can find from T.
  5. Jun 2, 2004 #4
    Except of course you meant
    [tex]E_p = E_{p_g} + E_{p_{ele}} = -mgx + \frac{1}{2}kx^2[/tex]

6. Jun 2, 2004 #5
    Of course... I didn't notice x represented elongation, I just assumed the X axis pointed up.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?