Solving a Horizontally Oscillating Ball Problem

In summary: The max acceleration occurs at the maximum displacement, which is the amplitude.In summary, the problem involves a 130 g ball attached to a spring with spring constant 3.0 N/m oscillating horizontally on a frictionless table. The velocity of the ball is 17 cm/s when x = 4.2 cm. To find the amplitude, use the energy equations and solve for A. The maximum acceleration occurs at the maximum displacement and can be solved by equating forces using the equation kx = ma.
Cfem

Homework Statement

A 130 g ball attached to a spring with spring constant 3.0 N/m oscillates horizontally on a frictionless table. Its velocity is 17 cm/s when x = 4.2 cm

Find the:
-Amplitude of Oscillation
-Max acceleration
-Speed of the ball when x = 2.8cm

Homework Equations

T = 2*pi*(m/k)1/2
Sinusoidal equations for position and velocity of a particle in SHM

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not entirely sure where to start. I solved the velocity and position equations for t and set them equal to solve for A, but finding an intersection for that is beyond me. Not sure how else to work the equation.

I figured if I could find A then I could take the derivative of the velocity equation and try to solve for the maximum acceleration, but that still leaves the phase shift and doesn't give an acceleration value to set it equal to.

Not sure where to begin on this one at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think using energy equations is the easiest way to solve this. The total energy is given by [tex]1/2kA^2 = 1/2kx^2 + 1/2mv^2[/tex]

Solve for amplitude A.

As for the max acceleration, this will occur intuitively when all energy is potential and being converted into kinetic. Use [tex]F=ma[/tex] where[tex]F=-kx[/tex].

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I hadn't thought about the energy perspective. Thanks for that one.

But about finding the max acceleration...

Since the potential of a spring is given by (1/2)(k)(x^2), I figure it was intuitive that the max acceleration would be when the spring is stretch to its max distance, its amplitude.

But (1/2)(3)(5.5^2) = (.13)(a) gives me a huge value for acceleration, which is being spit back. So I'm wondering what I'm missing. (yes, 5.5cm is the right amplitude).

I don't think I made myself clear before. I meant to solve the equation [tex]kx = ma[/tex] (where x is the amplitude A) by equating forces. Your intuition is right, though.

Last edited:

As a scientist, the first step in solving this problem would be to identify the known and unknown variables. In this case, the known variables are the mass of the ball (130 g), the spring constant (3.0 N/m), the initial velocity (17 cm/s), and the position (x = 4.2 cm). The unknown variables are the amplitude of oscillation, the maximum acceleration, and the speed of the ball at x = 2.8 cm.

Next, we can use the equations for simple harmonic motion (SHM) to solve for the unknown variables. The equation for the period of oscillation (T) is T = 2*pi*(m/k)^1/2, where m is the mass of the ball and k is the spring constant. Substituting the known values into this equation, we get T = 2*pi*(0.130 kg/3.0 N/m)^1/2 = 0.965 seconds.

The amplitude of oscillation (A) can be found using the equation for position in SHM, x = A*sin(2*pi*t/T), where t is the time and T is the period. Since we know the position at t = 0 (x = 4.2 cm), we can solve for A by setting t = 0 and solving for A. This gives us A = 4.2 cm.

To find the maximum acceleration, we can use the equation for acceleration in SHM, a = -A*(2*pi/T)^2*cos(2*pi*t/T), where A is the amplitude and T is the period. Substituting the known values, we get a = -(4.2 cm)*(2*pi/0.965 s)^2*cos(2*pi*t/0.965 s). Since we are looking for the maximum acceleration, we can set t = 0 and solve for a, which gives us a = 0.173 m/s^2.

Finally, to find the speed of the ball at x = 2.8 cm, we can use the equation for velocity in SHM, v = 2*pi*A*cos(2*pi*t/T), where A is the amplitude and T is the period. Substituting the known values, we get v = 2*pi*(4.2 cm)*cos(2*pi*t/0.965 s). Setting t = 0 and solving for v, we get v

1. What is a horizontally oscillating ball problem?

A horizontally oscillating ball problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the motion of a ball that is moving back and forth horizontally.

2. How do you solve a horizontally oscillating ball problem?

To solve a horizontally oscillating ball problem, you need to use equations of motion and apply them to the specific situation. This includes considering factors such as the initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and the horizontal displacement of the ball.

3. What are the key equations used in solving a horizontally oscillating ball problem?

The key equations used in solving a horizontally oscillating ball problem are the equations of motion:
- v = u + at
- s = ut + 1/2at^2
- v^2 = u^2 + 2as
Where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, t is the time, and s is the displacement.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving a horizontally oscillating ball problem?

Some common mistakes when solving a horizontally oscillating ball problem include forgetting to consider the horizontal displacement of the ball, not using the correct equations of motion, and not taking into account external factors such as air resistance or friction.

5. How can I check if my solution to a horizontally oscillating ball problem is correct?

You can check if your solution to a horizontally oscillating ball problem is correct by double-checking your calculations and ensuring that they follow the laws of physics. You can also use a simulation or conduct an experiment to verify your solution.