1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harmonic Motion

1. Oct 23, 2004 #1
    I have a physics problem that I'm stuck on! Its a position vs time graph of harmonic motion of a horizontal mass/spring system. The question is "where is the acceleration greater than 0?". The graph starts at point A (at the origin), goes to B (above the x axis), down to C (on the x axis), down to D (below the x axis), and up to E (on the x axis).

I thought the answer should be between B&C and D&E because these (I think) would correspond to when the mass was going from a point with no kinetic energy to a point with maximum kinetic energy. This can't be right because the choices are A&B, A&C, C&D, C&E, B&D, both A&B and D&E. What's going on? Thanks :)
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2004 #2

Homework Helper

The problem might because the question asks greater than 0
  4. Oct 23, 2004 #3
    Ok, I guess I should just think of it more that the second derivative is acceleration....
  5. Oct 23, 2004 #4

Homework Helper

Go look in your Textbook there should be a graph comparing

Position vs Time

Velocity vs Time

Acceleration vs Time
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?