1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harmonic Motion

1. Jan 9, 2005 #1
    A 0.200 m uniform bar has a mass of 0.770 kg and is released from rest in the vertical position, as the drawing indicates. The spring is initially unstrained and has a spring constant of k = 28.0 N/m. Find the tangential speed with which end A strikes the horizontal surface.

[​IMG]
    (if the img doesnt work please enter http://www.webassign.net/CJ/10_60.gif into your browser)

---

I've been struggling with this problems for quite a while now.
    I know that:
    [tex]x = \theta r[/tex]

[tex]v _{f} = \frac{x}{t}[/tex]

Beyond these two simple steps I can't figure anything out... i tried experimenting by integrating with respect to theta and x, but it still didnt work out... any help would be great. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2005 #2
    wlvanbiesen,

The first way I thought of was to consider the torques (there are two of them) that act on the rod. The rod has a moment of inertia about its pivot point, so you'd integrate angular acceleration over the time it takes for the rod to go from vertical to horizontal....That looked like a mess!

But then I thought of energy conservation! Give that a try; I think it will work.

4. Jan 9, 2005 #3

krab

Science Advisor

I would use energy. You know the potential gravitational energy before and after and the potential spring energy after. The left over energy is the kineti energy (1/2)I omega^2, where I is the moment of inertia of the bar.

edit: Sorry, I didn't see that jdavel had already suggested this.

5. Jan 10, 2005 #4
    Nobody in the class can figure this problem out? Can anyone show me how to solve this exactly?

6. Jan 11, 2005 #5
    Did you try what krab suggested?

How much total energy is there at the beginnning? What are all the components of that energy? What do you know about the total energy at the end? What are the components of THAT energy?

If you give us answers to all those questions, and you're still stuck, we'll give you more help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?