1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harmonic oscilator in analytical mechanics(with the use of creation/annihilation ops)

1. Nov 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The Hamiltonian for the one-dimensional harmonic oscillator is given by:
    [tex] H = \frac{p^2}{2m}+ \frac{mw^2q^2}{2} [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

(a) Express H in terms of the following coordinates:

[tex] a = \sqrt{\frac{mw}{2}} (q+i\frac{p}{mw}) [/tex]
    [tex] a^* = \sqrt{\frac{mw}{2}} (q-i\frac{p}{mw}) [/tex]

(b) Calculate the following Poisson Brackets: {a*,H} {a,H}, {a, a*}
    (c) Write and solve the equations of motion for a and a.

3. The attempt at a solution

a. simple algebra :
    [tex] H = waa^* [/tex]

b. again, algebra :
    [tex] \{a^*,H\} = iwa^*, \{a,H\} = -iwa, \{a,a^*\} = -i [/tex]

c.

this is where I'm having trouble. I don't really get the question.. what's the conjugate momentum? what's the coordinates? where do I start from? :)

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2009 #2
    Re: Harmonic oscilator in analytical mechanics(with the use of creation/annihilation

Perhaps you should start with, 'what does it mean "equations of motion"?' This means, in Hamiltonian dynamics, that you need to find the time-derivative of a and a-star.

4. Nov 29, 2009 #3
    Re: Harmonic oscilator in analytical mechanics(with the use of creation/annihilation

Also, I think part a is wrong. You may want to double check your algebra.

5. Nov 30, 2009 #4

I rechecked part a again, and also solved it using another method, got the same answer. I also think It's right since it resembles the quantum hamiltonian, without [tex] \hbar [/tex] and [tex] \frac{1}{2} [/tex], which makes sense.

For the third part, I used [tex] \dot{a} = \{a,h\} [/tex] and solved it.
    Before I did that simple thing, I expressed q and p using a, a*, wrote an expression for [tex] \dot{a}, \dot{a^*} [/tex] and then used the hamiltonian equations of motion to express [tex] \dot{p}, \dot{q} [/tex] using a, a*, and got the same result :)

Thanks for your help :smile:

6. Nov 30, 2009 #5

The way I see it, it pretty much is the quantum harmonic oscillator with [itex]\hbar=1[/itex] units:

[tex]
    q^2=\frac{1}{2m\omega}\left(a+a^*\right)^2
    [/tex]

[tex]
    p^2=-\frac{m\omega^2}{4}\left(a-a^*\right)^2
    [/tex]

so that

[tex]
    \begin{array}{ll}
    H&=\frac{p^2}{2m}+\frac{m\omega^2q^2}{2} \\
    &=-\frac{\omega}{4}\left(aa-aa^*-a^*a+a^a^*\right)+\frac{\omega}{4}\left(aa+aa^*+a^*a+a^*a^*\right) \\
    &=\frac{\omega}{4}\left(2aa^*+2a^*a\right) \\
    &=\omega\left(aa^*+\frac{1}{2}\right)
    \end{array}
    [/tex]

It looks, though, that the factor of [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] isn't necessary for parts (b) and (c), just part (a)--this is because you can solve the Poisson brackets in terms of [itex]q[/itex] and [itex]p[/itex], in which case you can use the Hamiltonian you began with.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  7. Nov 30, 2009 #6

I think you are treating a, a* as operators (used commuting relation in the last part, if I'm not mistaken), while here they are simply coordinates, and aa* = a*a.
    Please note that you expressed [tex] p^2, q^2 [/tex] in a wrong way but then corrected it in H.

Also, my algebra is

[tex] waa^* = \frac{mw^2}{2} (q^2 + \frac{p^2}{(mw)^2}) = \frac{p^2}{2m} + \frac{mw^2q^2}{2} = H [/tex]

I also did this by expressing q and p using a, a* and got the same result.

8. Nov 30, 2009 #7

Ha, that I am. I have been stuck on my QM for the last several days before my final on Wednesday--of course it doesn't help that your title says "creation/annihilation ops". Your answer is right then.

Right, there should have been a squared term on the parenthesis--just fixed those too. Glad I could help!!

9. Nov 30, 2009 #8

If I remember correctly, the half in the quantum hamiltonian is the vacuum energy, and is a quantum effect, not classical. (This all may be wrong, don't take me up for it :) )

10. Nov 30, 2009 #9

Good luck on your exam!

11. Nov 30, 2009 #10

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook