Harmonic oscillation

• Thread starter Runei
  • Start date
Hello,

When I have the differential equation

[tex]\frac{dY(x)}{dx} = -k^2 Y(x)[/tex]

The solution is of course harmonic oscillation, however, looking at various places I see the solution given as:
[tex]Y(x) = A cos(kx) + B sin(kx)[/tex]
instead of
[tex]Y(x) = A cos(kx + \phi_1) + B sin(kx + \phi_2)[/tex]

Isnt Equation 2 a more general solution than Equation 1? Or is there some reasoning (probably is) to make the phase angles go away?

Thank you.

AlephZero

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The general solution to a second order differential equation has 2 arbitrary coefficients, so you can't have a "more general solution" than ##A \cos kx + B \sin kx##.

For your second solution, you have ##\cos(kx + \phi_1) = \cos\phi_1\cos kx - \sin\phi_1\sin kx##, and a similar expression for ##\sin(kx + \phi_2)##, so you can rewrite the whole expression as ##P\cos kx + Q\sin kx##, where ##P## and ##Q## are constants containing ##A##, ##B##, and ##\cos## and ##\sin## of ##\phi_1## and ##\phi_2##. That is the same as your first solution.

Note, ##A\cos(kx + \phi)## or ##A\sin(kx + \phi)## are both general solutions (with two arbitrary constants), and those forms are sometimes nicer to use than ##A \cos kx + B \sin kx##.

Thank you AlephZero!

As a side-note then, if I wanted to rewrite the solution in terms of complex exponentials, that the solution would be

[itex]Y(x) = A \cdot e^{ikx} + A^*\cdot e^{-ikx}[/itex]

Where the constant A this time is complex.

Hello,

When I have the differential equation

[tex]\frac{dY(x)}{dx} = -k^2 Y(x)[/tex]

The solution is of course harmonic oscillation, however, looking at various places I see the solution given as:

Isnt Equation 2 a more general solution than Equation 1? Or is there some reasoning (probably is) to make the phase angles go away?

Thank you.
I suppose that the equation is [tex]\frac{d^2Y(x)}{dx^2} = -k^2 Y(x)[/tex]
The two equations :
[tex]Y(x) = A cos(kx) + B sin(kx)\\
Y(x) = A cos(kx + \phi_1) + B sin(kx + \phi_2)[/tex]
are equivalent :
[tex]A cos(kx + \phi_1) + B sin(kx + \phi_2) = A' cos(kx) + B' sin(kx)\\
A' =A cos(\phi_1)+B sin(\phi_2)\\
B' =-A sin(\phi_1)+B cos(\phi_2)[/tex]

AlephZero

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Thank you AlephZero!

As a side-note then, if I wanted to rewrite the solution in terms of complex exponentials, that the solution would be

[itex]Y(x) = A \cdot e^{ikx} + A^*\cdot e^{-ikx}[/itex]

Where the constant A this time is complex.
There is no mathematical reason why the solution has to be real, so you could just write
[itex]Y(x) = A \cdot e^{ikx} + B\cdot e^{-ikx}[/itex]
where ##A## and ##B## are complex constants.

In this case, both the real and imaginary parts of ##Y(x)## satisfy the differential equation.
You can interpret the real part of ##Y(x)## as a physical displacement, and the real part of ##dY(x)/dx## as a physical velocity, etc.