1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harmonic oscillations and electric dipoles

1. May 23, 2004 #1
    Hi there, I was hoping that someone would be kind enough to help me out with this question. I don't even know where to start :yuck:

Use T=Ia (where T=torque) to show that if an electric dipole with dipole moment of magnitude p and moment of inertia I is oriented with its dipole moment making a small angle theta with the direction of an external electric field of magnitude E, the dipole will execute simple harmonic oscillations about the field direction with a frequency v given by:

v= [1/(2pi)] [(pE)/I]^1/2

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2004 #2

turin

Homework Helper

The dipole moment and electric field will give you the torque, which is the L.H.S. of the equation τ = I α. (Big hint: it will involve orientation as a function of time, θ(t))

For the R.H.S., you need to replace angular acceleration α with a second order derivative. (Big hint: it will involve orientation as a function of time, θ(t))

Then, solve the diff. eq. The solution should be sinusoidal (with a frequency, ν).

Last edited: May 24, 2004
  4. May 24, 2004 #3
    I'm sorry... I'm still lost. I have no idea how to do any of that. How do you take the derivative if you don't know the value?

5. May 25, 2004 #4
    ok I figured it out!!! Thanks for your help!!!

:biggrin:

6. May 25, 2004 #5

turin

Homework Helper

Very cool. However, I am curious:

How did you go from:
    to:
    ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?