Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Harmonic oscillations and electric dipoles

1. May 23, 2004 #1
    Hi there, I was hoping that someone would be kind enough to help me out with this question. I don't even know where to start :yuck:

Use T=Ia (where T=torque) to show that if an electric dipole with dipole moment of magnitude p and moment of inertia I is oriented with its dipole moment making a small angle theta with the direction of an external electric field of magnitude E, the dipole will execute simple harmonic oscillations about the field direction with a frequency v given by:

v= [1/(2pi)] [(pE)/I]^1/2

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2004 #2

turin

Homework Helper

The dipole moment and electric field will give you the torque, which is the L.H.S. of the equation τ = I α. (Big hint: it will involve orientation as a function of time, θ(t))

For the R.H.S., you need to replace angular acceleration α with a second order derivative. (Big hint: it will involve orientation as a function of time, θ(t))

Then, solve the diff. eq. The solution should be sinusoidal (with a frequency, ν).

Last edited: May 24, 2004
  4. May 24, 2004 #3
    I'm sorry... I'm still lost. I have no idea how to do any of that. How do you take the derivative if you don't know the value?

5. May 25, 2004 #4
    ok I figured it out!!! Thanks for your help!!!

:biggrin:

6. May 25, 2004 #5

turin

Homework Helper

Very cool. However, I am curious:

How did you go from:
    to:
    ?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook