Harmonic Oscillator and Ladder Operators

In summary: X^2...## do I need to square this expression?Yes, you would need to square the expression. Also, don't forget to use the correct definition for X^2 in terms of a and a†, which can be found in the Homework Statement.Great! So I've calculated ## ⟨ψ|X|ψ⟩ ## and obtained:##⟨ψ|X|ψ⟩= \sqrt{\frac{h}{8mw}} (e^{\frac{it(E_0 - E_1)}{h}} + e^{\frac{it(E_1 - E_0)}{h}}) ##As for part c, for ##...X^2...## do
MFAHH

Homework Statement

Consider a linear harmonic oscillator with the solution defined by the ladder operators a and a. Use the number basis |n⟩ to do the following.

a) Construct a linear combination of |0⟩ and |1⟩ to form a state |ψ⟩ such that ⟨ψ|X|ψ⟩ is as large as
possible.

b) Suppose that the oscillator is in the state constructed in a) at time t = 0. Write an expression to describe the time dependence of this state state for t > 0. Evaluate the expectation value ⟨ψ(t)|X|ψ(t)⟩ as a function of time for t > 0.

c) Defining (∆x)2 = ⟨ψ(t)|X2|ψ(t)⟩ − ⟨ψ(t)|X|ψ(t)⟩2. Calculate (∆x)2.

Homework Equations

Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 17.21.38.png
Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 17.21.50.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a hunch that for part a) I need to consider some |ψ⟩ = A|0⟩ + B|1⟩, then differentiate the expression ⟨ψ|X|ψ⟩. However I'm not sure how to implement that, any hints?

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not just go ahead and calculate <X> for arbitrary ##A, B## as your hunch suggests?

PeroK said:
Why not just go ahead and calculate <X> for arbitrary ##A, B## as your hunch suggests?

Thanks for the reply.

Ok so I substituted |ψ⟩ = A|0⟩ + B|1⟩ into ⟨ψ|X|ψ⟩, and from simple manipulation I have:

<X> = A*A⟨0|X|0⟩ + A*B⟨0|X|1⟩ + B*A ⟨1|X|0⟩ + B*B ⟨1|X|1⟩

Is this correct? I wonder what can be done to simplify it, should I substitute X in terms of a and a†?

MFAHH said:
Thanks for the reply.

Ok so I substituted |ψ⟩ = A|0⟩ + B|1⟩ into ⟨ψ|X|ψ⟩, and from simple manipulation I have:

<X> = A*A⟨0|X|0⟩ + A*B⟨0|X|1⟩ + B*A ⟨1|X|0⟩ + B*B ⟨1|X|1⟩

Is this correct? I wonder what can be done to simplify it, should I substitute X in terms of a and a†?

Yes, it's correct. You need to know (or calculate) ##<0|X|0>## and ##<1|X|1>##. You have to calculate ##<0|X|1>## as well. The other term is related to this (hint: think about complex numbers).

You can use the ladder operator or just integrate (if you have a list of standard Gaussian type integrals).

PeroK said:
Yes, it's correct. You need to know (or calculate) ##<0|X|0>## and ##<1|X|1>##. You have to calculate ##<0|X|1>## as well. The other term is related to this (hint: think about complex numbers).

You can use the ladder operator or just integrate (if you have a list of standard Gaussian type integrals).

I've ended up with:

<X> = (h/2mw)2 [A*B + B*A]

Now to obtain |ψ⟩ which maximizes <X>, we set <X> = 0 and solve for A and B. This gives: A*B = -B*A. How would one solve for the two unknowns then?

MFAHH said:
I've ended up with:

<X> = (h/2mw)2 [A*B + B*A]

Now to obtain |ψ⟩ which maximizes <X>, we set <X> = 0 and solve for A and B. This gives: A*B = -B*A. How would one solve for the two unknowns then?

I'd double check that factor you've got.

I'll give you that ##A^*B + B^*A = A^*B + (A^*B)^* = 2Re(A^*B)##. It's useful not to forget that.

To maximise this, you know that ##|A|^2 + |B|^2 = 1##. Try expressing these in polar form with magnitudes ##a, b## and note that:

If ##a, b## are real and ##a^2 + b^2 = 1## then ##a = cos(\alpha)## and ##b = sin(\alpha)## for some ##\alpha##. It's useful to remember that as well.

It's not too hard to maximise ##Re(A^*B)## using this.

PeroK said:
I'd double check that factor you've got.

I'll give you that ##A^*B + B^*A = A^*B + (A^*B)^* = 2Re(A^*B)##. It's useful not to forget that.

To maximise this, you know that ##|A|^2 + |B|^2 = 1##. Try expressing these in polar form with magnitudes ##a, b## and note that:

If ##a, b## are real and ##a^2 + b^2 = 1## then ##a = cos(\alpha)## and ##b = sin(\alpha)## for some ##\alpha##. It's useful to remember that as well.

It's not too hard to maximise ##Re(A^*B)## using this.

Ah oops, is it: <X> = (h/2mw)1/2 [A*B + B*A]

I ended up with α = π/4.

And so |ψ⟩ = A|0⟩ + B|1⟩ = cos(π/4) |0⟩ + sin(π/4) |1⟩

Not sure about that part as we've solved for the real parts of A and B, but not A and B themselves.

MFAHH said:
Ah oops, is it: <X> = (h/2mw)1/2 [A*B + B*A]

I ended up with α = π/4.

And so |ψ⟩ = A|0⟩ + B|1⟩ = cos(π/4) |0⟩ + sin(π/4) |1⟩

Not sure about that part as we've solved for the real parts of A and B, but not A and B themselves.

I'd move on with with ##A = B = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}##

##Re(A^*B) = Re(ae^{-i\theta_A} be^{i \theta_B}) = abcos(\theta_B - \theta_A)## was what you missed out.

PeroK said:
I'd move on with with ##A = B = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}##

##Re(A^*B) = Re(ae^{-i\theta_A} be^{i \theta_B}) = abcos(\theta_B - \theta_A)## was what you missed out.

Ah I see now, so it's the case that:
##|ψ⟩ = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|0⟩ + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|1⟩ ##

MFAHH said:
Ah I see now, so it's the case that:
##|ψ⟩ = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|0⟩ + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|1⟩ ##

That's the simplest. I.e. taking ##\theta_A = \theta_B = 0##. Although, any common ##\theta## would have done.

PeroK said:
That's the simplest. I.e. taking ##\theta_A = \theta_B = 0##. Although, any common ##\theta## would have done.

Is it worth putting ##\theta## in or considering the simplest case for the following parts do you think?

MFAHH said:
Is it worth putting ##\theta## in or considering the simplest case for the following parts do you think?

Definitely not! It says "construct a state ...". Always take the easiest option.

Likes MFAHH
PeroK said:
Definitely not! It says "construct a state ...". Always take the easiest option.

Good point :).

For the first part of b) I've got the following, just want to check it's right.

##|ψ⟩ = e^{\frac{-iE_0t}{h}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|0⟩ + e^{\frac{-iE_1t}{h}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|1⟩ ## where ## E_n ## is the nth energy eigenvalue given by ##E_n = (n+\frac{1}{2})hw##

MFAHH said:
Good point :).

For the first part of b) I've got the following, just want to check it's right.

##|ψ⟩ = e^{\frac{-iE_0t}{h}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|0⟩ + e^{\frac{-iE_1t}{h}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|1⟩ ## where ## E_n ## is the nth energy eigenvalue given by ##E_n = (n+\frac{1}{2})hw##

Yes, that's right.

PeroK said:
Yes, that's right.

Great! So I've calculated ## ⟨ψ|X|ψ⟩ ## and obtained:

##⟨ψ|X|ψ⟩= \sqrt{\frac{h}{8mw}} (e^{\frac{it(E_0 - E_1)}{h}} + e^{\frac{it(E_1 - E_0)}{h}}) ##

As for part c, for ## ⟨ψ|X|ψ⟩^2 ## I square the expression above to get:

##⟨ψ|X|ψ⟩^2 = \frac{h}{8mw} (e^{\frac{2it(E_0 - E_1)}{h}} + e^{\frac{2it(E_1 - E_0)}{h}} + 2) ##

Is that correct so far.

MFAHH said:
Great! So I've calculated ## ⟨ψ|X|ψ⟩ ## and obtained:

##⟨ψ|X|ψ⟩= \sqrt{\frac{h}{8mw}} (e^{\frac{it(E_0 - E_1)}{h}} + e^{\frac{it(E_1 - E_0)}{h}}) ##

As for part c, for ## ⟨ψ|X|ψ⟩^2 ## I square the expression above to get:

##⟨ψ|X|ψ⟩^2 = \frac{h}{8mw} (e^{\frac{2it(E_0 - E_1)}{h}} + e^{\frac{2it(E_1 - E_0)}{h}} + 2) ##

Is that correct so far.

You are going to find QM difficult if you keep forgetting about complex conjugates! You need to simplify those expressions.

PeroK said:
You are going to find QM difficult if you keep forgetting about complex conjugates! You need to simplify those expressions.

Yes, I should've clicked on. It would simplify to:

##⟨ψ|X|ψ⟩= \sqrt{\frac{h}{2mw}} cos(\frac{t}{h} (E_0 - E_1)) ##

And so:

##⟨ψ|X|ψ⟩^2= \frac{h}{2mw} cos^2(\frac{t}{h} (E_0 - E_1)) ##

MFAHH said:
Yes, I should've clicked on. It would simplify to:

##⟨ψ|X|ψ⟩= \sqrt{\frac{h}{2mw}} cos(\frac{t}{h} (E_0 - E_1)) ##

And so:

##⟨ψ|X|ψ⟩^2= \frac{h}{2mw} cos^2(\frac{t}{h} (E_0 - E_1)) ##

You can do something with ##E_0 - E_1## as well. And, remember that ##cos## is an even function.

PeroK said:
You can do something with ##E_0 - E_1## as well. And, remember that ##cos## is an even function.

Aha!

##⟨ψ|X|ψ⟩= \sqrt{\frac{h}{2mw}} cos(wt) ##

And so:

##⟨ψ|X|ψ⟩^2= \frac{h}{2mw} cos^2(wt) ##

Now it looks splendid.

Likes PeroK
Final thing, for ##⟨ψ|X^2|ψ⟩## I got:

##⟨ψ|X^2|ψ⟩= \frac{h}{mw} ##, is that correct?

MFAHH said:
Final thing, for ##⟨ψ|X^2|ψ⟩## I got:

##⟨ψ|X^2|ψ⟩= \frac{h}{mw} ##, is that correct?

That's what I got.

Likes MFAHH
Perfect! Many thanks for your time and help. I think I've got this down now :)

1. What is a harmonic oscillator?

A harmonic oscillator is a system that has a restoring force that is proportional to its displacement from equilibrium. This means that when the system is displaced from its equilibrium position, a force is applied to bring it back to its original position. An example of a harmonic oscillator is a mass attached to a spring.

2. What are ladder operators in the context of a harmonic oscillator?

In quantum mechanics, ladder operators are mathematical operators that are used to change the energy states of a quantum system. In the context of a harmonic oscillator, they are used to raise or lower the energy of the system by one quantum level.

3. How do ladder operators relate to the energy levels of a harmonic oscillator?

The ladder operators for a harmonic oscillator are defined as a combination of the position and momentum operators. In terms of the energy levels, the ladder operators can be used to move the system from one energy level to the next, either higher or lower.

4. What is the significance of the ladder operators in quantum mechanics?

The ladder operators are significant because they allow us to understand and describe the energy states of quantum systems. They also play a crucial role in calculating the probabilities of different energy states and in determining the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

5. Can ladder operators be applied to other systems besides the harmonic oscillator?

Yes, ladder operators have been applied to various other physical systems in quantum mechanics, such as the hydrogen atom and the quantum harmonic oscillator in three dimensions. They are also used in fields outside of physics, such as in economics and finance, to model complex systems.