How can a harmonic oscillator model be used to describe ocean surface movement?

In summary, the conversation is about modeling a harmonic oscillator floating on the ocean's surface, which is treated as a harmonic oscillator within a harmonic oscillator. The system consists of a mass connected by two springs inside a spherical shell on the ocean's surface. The conversation also discusses the use of spring constants and a single frequency to model ocean waves passing by. The speaker is unsure if they are on the right track and asks for suggestions on how to effectively model the system.
JPBenowitz
So I am trying to model a harmonic oscillator floating on the oceans surface. I treated this as a harmonic oscillator within a harmonic oscillator and I am not sure if I am heading in the correct direction. Just to be clear this isn't a homework problem just something I am working on.

The system consists of a mass connected by two springs inside a spherical shell lying on the oceans surface. I modeled the system with 3-coupled masses connected by spring constant k, where m1 and m3 are connected to another spring with constant k'. m1 and m3 are the ends of the spherical shell and k' is the spring constant I am modeling the ocean waves passing by with (a single frequency for now). For convenience I let m1=m2=m3. Am I on the right track? Is there a better way of thinking of this problem to more effectively model it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh I see, you have a mass-on-spring, and you put it on a boat (OK, a spherical boat)?

It's a driven harmonic oscillator.
Your setup is very complicated.

What is the Harmonic Oscillator Model?

The Harmonic Oscillator Model is a mathematical model that describes the behavior of a system that has a restoring force proportional to its displacement from equilibrium. It is used to study the motion of systems such as springs, pendulums, and atoms.

What is the equation for the Harmonic Oscillator Model?

The equation for the Harmonic Oscillator Model is F = -kx, where F is the restoring force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from equilibrium.

How does the mass affect the Harmonic Oscillator Model?

The mass does not affect the behavior of the Harmonic Oscillator Model. The equation remains the same regardless of the mass of the system. However, a larger mass will result in a slower oscillation.

What is the relationship between the angular frequency and the spring constant in the Harmonic Oscillator Model?

The angular frequency, represented by the symbol ω, is equal to the square root of the spring constant divided by the mass of the system. In other words, ω = √(k/m). This relationship determines the speed of oscillation in the system.

How is the Harmonic Oscillator Model used in science?

The Harmonic Oscillator Model is used in many areas of science, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. It can be applied to study the behavior of systems ranging from simple springs to complex molecules. It is also used in the development of technologies such as shock absorbers, musical instruments, and electronic circuits.