1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harmonic Oscillator question

1. Apr 10, 2006 #1
    I have the U(x) functions for the ground state and first excited state of the simple harmonic oscillator. I also have the psi (x,0) wave function for this situation. How do I find the probability the particle is in a particular state? Is it simply the integral of psi(x,0) * u(x) dx evaluated from -x0 to x0... and then the square of this value?

Or am I totally off base with this?
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2006 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi eku_girl,

You have the right idea except that you have to remember to integrate over all space, not just from -x0 to x0. All you're really doing is calculating the inner product or overlap integral between your state and the states of definite energy. This quantity tells you how much your state psi looks like the ground state or first the excited state or whatever you put in there.

Hope this helps.

4. Apr 10, 2006 #3
    The psi (x,0) is defined from -x0 to x0 in the problem. Do I still integrate over all space?

5. Apr 10, 2006 #4

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I see, your initial wavefunction vanishes outside of -x0 to x0? Sorry for the confusion; yes, you should integrate from -x0 to x0. In fact, you can think about integrating over all space except that the wavefunction is zero outside of -x0 to x0 so it all works out alright.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?