1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harmonic oscillator

1. Nov 16, 2005 #1
    Ok, fairly basic quantum mechanics assignment.

One question deals with (I think) the coefficients of the Hermite polynomial. Unfortunately, the lecturer hasn't told us anything about this method, so I donn't know what it's called or what the point of it is, and it's not in any of the examples of Hermite polynomials I can find.

I have the summation:

[tex] \\sum_{n=-\\infty}^\\infty [(k+2)(k+1)c_{k+2} + (2 \\epsilon -2k -1)c_{k}] y^k = 0 [/tex]

Show that the above implies that the coefficients for each power of y are themselves zero, by considering the derivatives of [] evaluated at y=0?

It'd be nice if I knew what these damn numbers were. It'd be even nicer if I knew what this was called so I could look it up.

edit: well, I can't get the LaTex to display what I want, but I hope you get the idea...

Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2005 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use a single backslash before LaTeX command:
    [tex]\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty [(k+2)(k+1)c_{k+2} + (2 \epsilon -2k -1)c_{k}] y^k = 0 [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?