1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harmonic oscillator

1. May 12, 2007 #1

I am approximating a proton transfer from one water molecule to another. I would to have a quantum mechanical description of the proton transfer as a wavefunction. So I have approximated a "transition state" and use this as a harmonic potential. Then I get some energy values around this potential - the problem is that the best fit is still a quadratic function - so it should be harmonic but in my analytic eigenfunction I have x^2 - is it possible to use a*x^2 + b*x + c instead ?
    Any help or advice appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

Best regards
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can always reexpress a potential of the form V(x)= a x^2 + bx + c as a quadratic function the following way [itex] V(x) = a(x+ \frac{b}{2 a})^2 - \frac{ b^2}{4 a} + c [/itex]

Now just shift the variable [itex] x' \equiv x - \frac{b}{2 a} [/itex] and you get [itex] V(x') = a (x')^2 - \frac{ b^2}{4 a} + c [/itex] Shifting th epotential by the constant piece leaves you with a harmonic potential in the new variable.

Hope this helps

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?