1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harmonic Oscillator

1. Jul 17, 2008 #1
    I'm reading Griffiths', and I had a question about the harmonic oscillator.

Griffiths solves the Schrodinger equation using ladder operators, and he then says that there must be a "lowest rung," or [tex]\psi_{0}[/tex], such that a_[tex]\psi_{0}[/tex] = 0. I'm guessing this also means that E = 0 for a_[tex]\psi_{0}[/tex], which is why it wouldn't be allowable.

Because a_[tex]\psi_{0}[/tex] is (mathematically, at least) a solution to the Schrodinger equation, it corresponds to the energy ([tex]E_{0}[/tex] - [tex]\hbar\omega[/tex]), which equals zero. Doesn't this mean that [tex]E_{0}[/tex] = [tex]\hbar\omega[/tex]?

But then this conflicts with Griffith's statement that [tex]E_{0}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{2}\hbar\omega[/tex]. HELP!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Watch out! The statement [itex]a_- \psi_0 = 0[/itex] just says that when you apply the ladder operator to this state, you get nothing, i.e. the vacuum. Physicists have a tendency to use "natural" notation, and you will often see things like [itex]a_- |0\rangle = 0[/itex]. Note that here the [itex]|0\rangle[/itex] on the left hand side is a state (wavevector) and the 0 on the right hand side is the zero vector, which is not a state. Griffiths is just kind enough to call it [itex]\psi_0[/itex] instead of [itex]|0\rangle[/itex] so you don't get completely confused :smile:

You say that [itex]a_- \psi_0[/itex] is a solution to the Schrodinger equation: that's right. But it isn't a physical solution. It's just the solution [itex]\psi = 0[/itex]. The energy of [itex]\psi_0[/itex] is [itex]\frac12 \hbar \omega[/itex] (formula 2.61) which can be seen by applying the Hamiltonian in the form (2.56) to this state and using that [itex]a_-[/itex] annihilates it.

Hope that makes it more clear.

4. Jul 18, 2008 #3
    Thanks, CompuChip!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?