Solve Harmonic Oscillator - Find Kinetic & Potential Energy

In summary, the expected value for the kinetic energy is the same as the expected value for the potential energy for a harmonic oscillator in ground state.
rayman123

Homework Statement

Can someone please give me some hints how to solve this problem.
Show that expected value for the kinetic energy is the same as the expected value for the potential energy for a harmonic oscillator in gound state.

Homework Equations

how to start with it?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
One way would be to calculate the expectation values <T> and <V> separately and show that they are equal. You know what the ground state wavefunction for the harmonic oscillator is, so you have to do a couple of integrals.

hello! I have been trying to write my calculations by using 'latex' but then i get a problem, it only shows me the very first part of my solutions when i want to add more it does not work at all...do you know what might be a problem?

[tex]\psi_{0}= (\frac{\alpha}{\pi})^{\frac{1}{4}} e^{\frac{-y^2}{2}}[/tex]

[tex]y= \sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{\hbar}}x\Rightarrow y=\sqrt{\alpha}x[/tex]
[tex]\alpha= \frac{m\omega}{\hbar}[/tex]
[tex]<|x^2|>=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dxx^2|{\psi_{0}}^2|=\sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{\pi \hbar}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dxx^2e^{\frac{-m \omega x^2}{\hbar}}=I[/tex]

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dxx^2e^{-\alpha x^2}=\frac{1}{2\alpha}\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{\alpha}}[/tex]

[tex]I= \frac{1 \hbar}{2m \omega}[/tex]

for [tex]<|p^2|>=\frac{m \hbar \omega}{2}[/tex]

[tex]<|E_{k}| >= \frac{1}{2m}|<|p^2>|= \frac{\hbar \omega}{4}[/tex]
[tex]<|E_{p}|> = \frac{m\omega^2}{2}<|x^2|>= \frac{\hbar \omega}{4}[/tex]

can i calculate it this way?
I have problems with finding formulas for the expected value for kinetic and potential energy...

The <|x2|> expectation value looks correct. How did you do the <|p2/2m|> integral?

[tex] <|p^2|>=-\hbar^2 \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dxe^{\frac{-m \omega x^2}{2\hbar}}\frac{\partial ^2}{\partial x^2}e^{\frac{-m \omega x^2}{2\hbar}}\sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{\pi \hbar}}= \hbar m \omega -m^2 \omega^2<|x^2|>=\frac{m \hbar \omega}{2}[/tex]

Methinks you are done.

thank you!:)

1. What is a harmonic oscillator?

A harmonic oscillator is a system that exhibits a repetitive motion or oscillation around a stable equilibrium position. It is characterized by a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement of the system from its equilibrium position.

2. How do you solve a harmonic oscillator?

To solve a harmonic oscillator, you need to use the equations of motion for a simple harmonic oscillator, which are: F = -kx and a = -(k/m)x. Then, you can use calculus techniques to find the position, velocity, and acceleration of the oscillator at any given time.

3. What is the kinetic energy of a harmonic oscillator?

The kinetic energy of a harmonic oscillator is the energy that it possesses due to its motion. It is given by the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the oscillator and v is its velocity.

4. What is the potential energy of a harmonic oscillator?

The potential energy of a harmonic oscillator is the energy that it possesses due to its position relative to its equilibrium position. It is given by the equation PE = 1/2 * k * x^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement of the oscillator from its equilibrium position.

5. How do you find the total energy of a harmonic oscillator?

The total energy of a harmonic oscillator is the sum of its kinetic and potential energy. It is given by the equation E = KE + PE = 1/2 * m * v^2 + 1/2 * k * x^2. This total energy is constant for a simple harmonic oscillator, meaning it does not change over time.