What are the Periods of Oscillation for Different Pendulum Configurations?

In summary, the frequency of oscillation of the mass and spring is 0.141414 rad/s, the period of oscillation of the simple pendulum is 2.007 seconds, and the period of oscillation of the rigid pendulum is 3.834 seconds.
JJBrian

Homework Statement

1. A 0.5 kg mass extends a spring 1 cm. What is the frequency of oscillation of this mass
and spring?
2. A 1 m stick is used as a simple pendulum with a 3 kg weight on the end. What is its
period of oscillation?
3. The same meter stick is used as a rigid pendulum with no weight. What is its period?

Homework Equations

F = −kx = ma.
x = Asin(wt) .
w = sqrt(k/m)
w = 2pie/T
v = Awcos(wt) .
vmax= Aw.
a = −A^2sin(wt) .
amax= wvmax=Aw^2.
t = Ia
t = −FLsin(theta) = −mgLsin(theta) = −mgL(theta)
I = mL^2
theta = Asin((2pie/T)*t)
T = 2pie*sqrt(L/g)
2pie/T =sqrt(3g/2L)

The Attempt at a Solution

1. ##w = \sqrt{k/m}##
##w = \sqrt{.01m/.5kg}##
##w = 0.1414~rad/s##

2. ##T = 2\pi~\sqrt{L/g}##
##T = 2\pi~\sqrt{1m/9.8m/s^2}##
##T = 2.007~s##

3. ##2\pi/T = \sqrt{3g/2L}##
##2\pi/T = \sqrt{3(9.8)/2(1)}##
##T = 2\pi/3.834##
##t = 1.6388~s ##

Can someone check my work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For 1) you need to find the spring constant k which is kx = mg => k = mg/x

You write
T = 2pie*sqrt(L/g)
and then you write
2pie/T =sqrt(3g/2L)

Where did the "3" in the second line come from?

kuruman said:
You write
T = 2pie*sqrt(L/g)
and then you write
2pie/T =sqrt(3g/2L)

Where did the "3" in the second line come from?

I think it is because this is problem 3 with a rod, moment of inertia mL2/3

Yes, that's what it is, nevertheless the second line does not follow from the one above it. Farther up, OP says I = mL^2. There is no factor of 3 anywhere that I can see except in the last line. This is sloppy work that needs to be pointed out.

Likes malawi_glenn
kuruman said:
Yes, that's what it is, nevertheless the second line does not follow from the one above it. Farther up, OP says I = mL^2. There is no factor of 3 anywhere that I can see except in the last line. This is sloppy work that needs to be pointed out.

I think that was just for problem 2 where the rod is considered massless.

Oh well, time for sum pie

• Haha
Likes kuruman

1. What is a harmonic oscillator?

A harmonic oscillator is a system that exhibits periodic motion around an equilibrium point, with a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point. Examples include a mass-spring system and a simple pendulum.

2. What are some common problems involving harmonic oscillators?

Common problems involving harmonic oscillators include calculating the period and frequency of oscillation, determining the amplitude and phase of the motion, and analyzing the energy of the system.

3. How do I solve a harmonic oscillator problem?

To solve a harmonic oscillator problem, you can use equations of motion, such as Newton's Second Law or the conservation of energy, to determine the behavior of the system. It is also helpful to draw a free body diagram to visualize the forces acting on the system.

4. What is the relationship between a harmonic oscillator and simple harmonic motion?

A harmonic oscillator is a type of system that exhibits simple harmonic motion, which is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. In other words, a harmonic oscillator is an example of a system that undergoes simple harmonic motion.

5. How do I apply the concept of harmonic oscillators in real life?

Harmonic oscillators have many real-life applications, such as in clocks, musical instruments, and even in the motion of atoms and molecules. They are also used in engineering and physics to model and analyze various systems, such as electrical circuits and mechanical structures.