Expand Harmonic Potential in Taylor Series | Piz

In summary, my friend, Taylor's theorem can be used to approximate differentiable functions around some given point. However, it can't be used when the function or the exact dependence on any variable is not given.
SANGHERA.JAS
Can we expand harmonic potential in a Taylor series. If so then piz tell me how?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, but it would be rather pointless since the expression for the potential is already identical to the second term in the taylor expansion.

The harmonic potential is as simple as it gets, I can't think of any reason why you would want to use a series expansion of any kind; at least not if you are trying to simplify the calculation.

But the third term in that series IS the harmonic potential...
For an harmonic potential all the other terms are -by definition- zero.

Maybe I've misunderstood your question?

You are somewhat right my friend. But my actual question is: From where the series itself come about?Although I understand Taylor's theorem well, but I am still not getting it?

Now, that is a complettely different question.
Although I am still not quite sure exactly what it is you do not understand.

Do you understand how one can use a Taylor series to approximate any differentiable function (such as an exponential) around some point? I.e do you understand the math?

Have you for example looked a the wiki for Taylor's theorem?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor's_theorem

The reason why the theorem is so useful in physics is that it allows us to expand a complicated potential (a common example would be a potential that contains trigonometric functions) around some point we are interested in.
For many potentials of interest you can get a good approximation by truncating the series after the third term, meaning all you end up with is the harmonic potential which is easy to deal with.

My friend I am a second year bachelor student; so I understand mathematics and hence Taylor's theorem very well. But my question is we use Taylor's expansion in case of function which are explicitly given e.g. sine, cosine, exponential, {1/(1-x^2)} etc. But how can we use Taylor's theorem in case of functions which are not explicitly given; that is the case when we talk about potential function, In this case neither the function itself nor the exact dependence on any sort of variable is given.

1. What is the concept of expanding harmonic potential in Taylor series?

The concept of expanding harmonic potential in Taylor series is a mathematical method used to approximate a function by representing it as an infinite sum of polynomials. This allows us to better understand and analyze the behavior of a function and make predictions about its values at different points.

2. Why is it useful to expand harmonic potential in Taylor series?

Expanding harmonic potential in Taylor series can be useful in a variety of scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It allows for a more accurate representation of a function, which can lead to better predictions and insights into the behavior of complex systems.

3. What are the key components of a Taylor series expansion?

The key components of a Taylor series expansion are the function being approximated, the point around which the series is being expanded (known as the center point), and the polynomial terms that make up the series. Each term is calculated using the function's derivatives evaluated at the center point.

4. How do you calculate the coefficients of a Taylor series expansion?

The coefficients of a Taylor series expansion can be calculated using the formula cn = fn(x0)/n!, where cn is the coefficient of the nth term, fn(x0) is the nth derivative of the function evaluated at the center point, and n! is the factorial of n.

5. Can the Taylor series expansion accurately represent any function?

No, the Taylor series expansion can only accurately represent functions that are infinitely differentiable (have derivatives of all orders) at the center point. Functions with discontinuities or singularities cannot be accurately represented by a Taylor series.