Understanding Harmonic Resonance in Power Systems

In summary, the speaker is a new member in the field of power systems and is having trouble understanding the term "harmonic resonance." They have searched for information online and have found that resonance means XL = XC, but they are still unsure of its meaning. They have tried to find diagrams to help explain it, but have been unsuccessful. The speaker asks for someone to explain what harmonic resonance is, provide a diagram, and explain why it can cause damage in the system. They express gratitude for any help.
sumanic
hi,

i am new bie in power sytem. I have found term "harmonic resonance" in power system, when i was gooleing, i found that resonance means XL = XC.
but i can't figure it out in my head. what the harmonic resonance is?

i have tried to find graph or figure that explain it, but the result is nill.
would you like to tell me,
#1 what is the harmonic resonance
#2 its diagram (the link reference)
#3 why does harmonic resonance can create a damage in the system

really appreciate for your kind help

rgsds,
suman

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is one of the best non math oriented descriptions I have ever read.
It's not very long and covers all your topics, complete with diagrams!
http://www.lightandmatter.com/html_books/lm/ch18/ch18.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is harmonic resonance?

Harmonic resonance in power systems refers to the phenomenon where the natural frequency of a system matches the frequency of an external power source, causing an amplification of the voltage or current in the system.

2. How does harmonic resonance affect power systems?

Harmonic resonance can lead to increased heating and stress on equipment, reduced efficiency, and even equipment failure in power systems. It can also cause voltage and current distortions, leading to power quality issues.

3. What are the common sources of harmonic resonance in power systems?

The most common sources of harmonic resonance in power systems include nonlinear loads such as variable speed drives, power electronic converters, and arc furnaces. These loads create harmonic currents that can cause resonance in the system.

4. How can harmonic resonance be prevented?

Harmonic resonance can be prevented by using harmonic filters, which are designed to reduce the harmonic currents in a system. Proper system design, such as avoiding parallel resonance and ensuring adequate system grounding, can also help prevent harmonic resonance.

5. How is harmonic resonance measured and analyzed?

Harmonic resonance can be measured and analyzed using power quality analyzers, which can detect and record harmonic currents and voltages in a power system. Computer simulations can also be used to analyze harmonic resonance and its effects on the system.