Harmonic series

• Thread starter foo9008
  • Start date

Homework Statement

i know that k = 0 to∞∑(1/ k) is harmonic series( we know that the sum is divergent) , how about ∑(1/ k+1 ) ???

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

in my opinion , it's also harmonic series , because the sum is divergent . Am i right ?

Answers and Replies

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed

Homework Statement

i know that k = 0 to∞∑(1/ k) is harmonic series( we know that the sum is divergent) , how about ∑(1/ k+1 ) ???

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

in my opinion , it's also harmonic series , because the sum is divergent . Am i right ?
Note: the series cannot be ##\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} 1/k## because the first term would be 1/0. However, starting at ##k = 1## is OK.

Do you mean that one of the series is ##\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} 1/k## and the other is ##\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}(\frac{1}{k}+1)##? That is what you wrote. Did you really mean ##\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} 1/(k+1)## for the second series? If so, use parentheses, like this: 1/(k+1).

Anyway, just write out the first first few terms of both of your series, to see how they are related.

When you say "it's also harmonic series , because the sum is divergent" you have it backwards: it is not harmonic because it is divergent; it is divergent because it is harmonic. (Lots of divergent series are not at all harmonic.)

Note: the series cannot be ##\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} 1/k## because the first term would be 1/0. However, starting at ##k = 1## is OK.

Do you mean that one of the series is ##\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} 1/k## and the other is ##\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}(\frac{1}{k}+1)##? That is what you wrote. Did you really mean ##\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} 1/(k+1)## for the second series? If so, use parentheses, like this: 1/(k+1).

Anyway, just write out the first first few terms of both of your series, to see how they are related.

When you say "it's also harmonic series , because the sum is divergent" you have it backwards: it is not harmonic because it is divergent; it is divergent because it is harmonic. (Lots of divergent series are not at all harmonic.)
i mean second one , IMO , it is also harmonic .... , am i right ?

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
i mean second one , IMO , it is also harmonic .... , am i right ?
Have you tried to write out the first few terms of both series to see how they differ? If you do, you can answer your own question.

member 587159
The infinite sum of 1/(k+1), with k starting from 1, is the same as the infinite sum of 1/k, with k starting from one minus 1. Follow Ray Vickson's advice to see this.

Likes foo9008