How can I standardize a given harmonic wave function?

In summary, the given wave function can be rewritten to match the standard wave function format, with a wavelength of 10 cm and T of 24s. The speed is 10/24 cm/s and the direction is positive x. The amplitude is 15cm.
triplezero24
Ok here's the deal. The problem gives me this wave function:

y= (15cm) cos[(pi/5cm)x - (pi/12s)t]

I undserstand that 15cm represents the amplitude, 5cm represents the wavelength, and 12s represents the T. What I don't get is that the standard wave function is in this form:

y(x,t)= A cos[(2pi/lambda)x - (2pi/T)t]

I thought I was good at algebra, but I can't seem to figure out how to the the pi's in the given equation to be at a factor of 2 with the rest of it being the same. The problem asks me to find: amplitude (which I got 15cm), the wavelength (I got 2.25cm), the T (I got 6s), and speed and direction. Please help if you can!

Thanks,
Eric

Physics news on Phys.org
y= (15cm) cos[(pi/5cm)x - (pi/12s)t]

can be written as

y= (15cm) cos[(2*pi/10cm)x - (2*pi/24s)t]

So, the wavelength is 10 cm and T is 24s.

Speed is 10/24 cm/s and direction is positive x.

Or use Partial derivatives for speed.

[tex] \frac{\partial y}{\partial t} = v [/tex]

Or

[tex] v = f \lambda = \frac{\omega}{k} [/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is a harmonic wave function?

A harmonic wave function is a mathematical representation of a wave that exhibits simple harmonic motion, meaning it oscillates back and forth with a constant frequency and amplitude. It is often used to describe physical phenomena such as sound, light, and water waves.

2. How is a harmonic wave function different from a regular wave function?

A harmonic wave function is a specific type of wave function that follows the principles of simple harmonic motion. Unlike a regular wave function, which can take on any shape or form, a harmonic wave function is always sinusoidal and has a predictable pattern of oscillation.

3. What is the equation for a harmonic wave function?

The equation for a harmonic wave function is A sin(kx - ωt), where A is the amplitude, k is the wave number, x is the position, ω is the angular frequency, and t is the time. This equation describes the displacement of a particle at a given position and time along the wave.

4. How are harmonic wave functions used in science?

Harmonic wave functions are used in a variety of scientific fields, including physics, mathematics, and engineering. They are particularly useful in studying and understanding the behavior of waves, such as sound and light waves, as well as in modeling physical systems that exhibit simple harmonic motion.

5. Can harmonic wave functions be used to describe real-world phenomena?

Yes, harmonic wave functions can be used to describe many real-world phenomena, such as the motion of pendulums, the vibration of guitar strings, and the propagation of electromagnetic waves. While they may not perfectly match every real-world situation, they provide a useful approximation and can be adjusted to fit the specific conditions of a given system.