Solving for Wavelength of a Harmonic Wave

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the wavelength of a harmonic wave traveling along a rope. It is suggested to use the formula relating frequency, speed, and wavelength, and to solve for wavelength by plugging in the given values for speed and frequency.
physics_ash82
ok I need help starting this problem. I always have trouble seeing which formula to use so ant thoughts would be helpful

A harmonic wave is traveling along a rope. It is observed that the oscillator that generates the wave completes 40.0 vibrations in 30.0 s. Also, a given maximum travels 425 cm along the rope in 10.0 s. What is the wavelength?

Physics news on Phys.org
physics_ash82 said:
It is observed that the oscillator that generates the wave completes 40.0 vibrations in 30.0 s.
This gives you the frequency.

physics_ash82 said:
Also, a given maximum travels 425 cm along the rope in 10.0 s.
This gives you the speed of propagation.

physics_ash82 said:
What is the wavelength?
You know frequency and speed and you need wavelength. Do you know any formula relating these quantities?

so I would use the formula a=Aw^2cos(wt)

physics_ash82 said:
so I would use the formula a=Aw^2cos(wt)
No. You'd use a formula relating the frequency, speed and wavelength of a traveling harmonic wave.

Answer

Ok I hate seeing people trouble through homework
especially if your name is ashley (personal joke):biggrin:

Anyway the formula you need is pretty simple and straightforward

speed= wavelenght * frequency

I don't quite know how to place greek letters in this forum but that's basically it.

you should know how to get the speed which is simply distance/time
and the frequency should be obtained by the number of vibrations per second.

Just solve for lambda err wavelenght and plug in numbers :D

1. What is a harmonic wave?

A harmonic wave is a type of wave that has a regular, repeating pattern. It is characterized by its wavelength, frequency, and amplitude.

2. How do you calculate the wavelength of a harmonic wave?

The wavelength of a harmonic wave can be calculated by dividing the speed of the wave by its frequency. This can be represented by the formula: λ = v/f, where λ is the wavelength, v is the speed, and f is the frequency.

3. What units are used to measure wavelength?

Wavelength is typically measured in meters (m) or centimeters (cm), but can also be measured in other units such as nanometers (nm) or micrometers (μm).

4. How is the wavelength of a harmonic wave related to its frequency?

The wavelength and frequency of a harmonic wave are inversely proportional. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa.

5. Can the wavelength of a harmonic wave be changed?

Yes, the wavelength of a harmonic wave can be changed by altering the frequency or speed of the wave. For example, increasing the frequency will decrease the wavelength, while decreasing the speed will increase the wavelength.