Decomposing Images into Harmonic Components Using Fourier Transform

In summary: Fooality what i want is that I want to decompose an image into its bases function/components using Fourier transform/series. I want to see waveforms/harmonics when added together forms the original image.
ramdas
I am beginer in image processing. Any signal whether it is 1D,2D or any multidimensional signal can be represented using combination of number of sine and cosine wavesforms (harmonics).Similerly any image can be termed as a function of sinusoidal signals.I want to see individual pattern for the number of waveforms/harmonics present in an image .for example the following link contains few of them http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~rfm/factored/filters_out.png .So are there any Matlab/ OpenCV /C code or results to understand easily these components(sine and cosine functions(harmonics)) present in any image?

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
Matlab fftn says it does multidimensional Fourier transform. I don't have any experience with it.

@FactChecker Sir fftn function gives Fourier transform of whole image.I want result as per link given in the question

ramdas said:
@FactChecker Sir fftn function gives Fourier transform of whole image.I want result as per link given in the question

Could you be a little more clear on exactly what you are looking for? Typically you take a 2D FFT of an image, and then do something with it and transform it back. For instance, if you only wanted to see certain frequencies in an image, you would take the 2D FFT, and multiply the frequencies you don't want by 0, and then transform it back.

The image you linked to is from this page:
http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~rfm/factored/
This page describes those as learned filters from a machine learning model that looks at different images. This professor's work is much deeper than any simple thing that can be done with FFT.

Likes ramdas
@Fooality what i want is that I want to decompose an image into its bases function/components using Fourier transform/series. I want to see waveforms/harmonics when added together forms the original image.
Sir,Do u get me or not?
Fooality said:
Could you be a little more clear on exactly what you are looking for? Typically you take a 2D FFT of an image, and then do something with it and transform it back. For instance, if you only wanted to see certain frequencies in an image, you would take the 2D FFT, and multiply the frequencies you don't want by 0, and then transform it back.

The image you linked to is from this page:
http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~rfm/factored/
This page describes those as learned filters from a machine learning model that looks at different images. This professor's work is much deeper than any simple thing that can be done with FFT.

Last edited:

What are harmonics present in an image?

Harmonics in an image refer to the repetition of patterns or shapes in the image. They can be caused by various factors such as lighting, texture, or composition.

How do harmonics affect an image?

Harmonics can enhance or detract from an image depending on the situation. They can add interest and depth to an image, but too many harmonics can also create a cluttered or busy appearance.

What causes harmonics in an image?

Harmonics can be caused by a variety of factors, including the frequency and intensity of light sources, the angle of the camera, and the characteristics of the subject being photographed.

Can harmonics be removed from an image?

Yes, harmonics can be removed from an image using various editing techniques such as blurring, cropping, or cloning. However, completely removing harmonics may alter the overall composition of the image.

How can I use harmonics to improve my images?

You can use harmonics to improve your images by intentionally incorporating patterns and repetition into your composition. This can add interest and create a cohesive and visually appealing image.