What does the 'n' curve in the Harris diagram for gears signify?

In summary: This is due to the profile correction that occurs during meshing, which causes the gear teeth to shift and create interference. In summary, the Harris diagram represents the relationship between profile corrections and transmission error in gear teeth. The small horizontal line after the changeover point signifies profile error caused by gear mesh stiffness, while the convex horizontal line in the same region indicates interference between driver and driven teeth during meshing. This information is explained in more detail in the book "Gear Noise And Vibration" by J. Derek Smith on page 19.1.
k.udhay
Hi,
I started reading about mesh stiffness and came across an interesting diagram called “Harris diagram” which represents the relationship between profile corrections and transmission error. Naturally, I ended up with few doubts, that I thought I could ask :

harrisdiag.jpg

1. I am unable to understand the second curve ‘n’, which is observed for a small load. At pitch point region due to deflection, there is an offset of the line but still it is a horizontal line. As soon as the tip relief region comes (“changeover point” region), the curve starts sloping down. I am alright till this point. But after this point another small horizontal line exists till the second pair of teeth (with relief) contact. What causes this small horizontal line and what is this signifying?

2. The last line has a convex horizontal line in the “changeover point” region. Does that mean that there will be an interference between the driven and the driver teeth at the beginning of mesh? In other words, would the driver have been in a leading position and driven in lagging position with reference to the theoretical condition?

Thanks.

P.s. - The basics of this is explained in the book 'Gear Noise And Vibration' by J. Derek Smith starting from Page no. 19.

Engineering news on Phys.org
1. The small horizontal line signifies the amount of profile error after the changeover point before the second pair of teeth with relief contact. This is due to the profile shift that occurs as a result of the gear mesh stiffness. As the gear teeth are subjected to pressure and friction, they shift slightly out of their original position, resulting in a slight misalignment between the driver and driven teeth. This misalignment causes the gear mesh to become stiffer, which is represented by the horizontal line.2. Yes, the convex horizontal line in the “changeover point” region means that there will be an interference between the driven and the driver teeth at the beginning of mesh. The convex shape indicates that the driver has been in a leading position and driven in lagging position with reference to the theoretical condition.

What is a Harris diagram in gears?

A Harris diagram is a graphical representation of the contact stress and bending stress in a gear system. It shows the relationship between the gear tooth geometry, applied load, and material properties.

How is a Harris diagram helpful in gear design?

A Harris diagram helps engineers design gears that can withstand the expected loads and stresses in a given application. It allows for the selection of appropriate gear materials and tooth geometries to ensure durability and reliability.

What factors affect the shape of a Harris diagram?

The shape of a Harris diagram is affected by several factors, including the gear module, pitch diameter, gear material, and applied load. Changes in any of these parameters will result in a different shape on the diagram.

Can a Harris diagram be used for all types of gears?

Yes, a Harris diagram can be used for all types of gears, including spur, helical, bevel, and worm gears. However, the calculation methods for the contact and bending stresses may vary depending on the gear type.

How can a Harris diagram be used for gear failure analysis?

A Harris diagram can be used to identify potential failure modes in a gear system. If the calculated stresses on the diagram exceed the material's yield or fatigue strength, it indicates that the gear may fail in that area. This information can be used to make design improvements and prevent gear failures.