Harry Potter dies?

FredGarvin

Science Advisor
Perhaps JK can modify that story to read "all of the people involved in the merchandising of Harry Potter will die." That would work for me.

I think the Harry Potter stories have been slowly becoming less children's stories for quite a while now.

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
As Potter and his chums age, the stories become for that age group. Since they are now like 17 - 18, the stories are of the "young adult" type, i.e. dark, noir, violent. I believe Rowling's son, for whom she started the stories, is now 20 or 30, so it wouldn't be inappropriate for the last book to be completely adult in theme and development.

If you consider the ending of the somewhat comparable "His Dark Materials" series, that was utterly sad for the heroine and hero you had been following. They didn't die, but what happened was heartbreaking for them. At the very end they stepped up and toughed it out, but just the same...

scorpa said:
They can't kill him! That would be horrible, but at the very least if it does happen he needs to defeat Voldemort before he dies haha. Does anyone know when the next book is supposed to come out?
I wouldn't be surprised if someone broke into J.K. Rowlings house and took micro prints of the manuscript to see if Harry Potter really dies. The only fictional character that I would care about if he dies is the Master Chief from Halo.

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
selfAdjoint said:
As Potter and his chums age, the stories become for that age group. Since they are now like 17 - 18, the stories are of the "young adult" type, i.e. dark, noir, violent. I believe Rowling's son, for whom she started the stories, is now 20 or 30, so it wouldn't be inappropriate for the last book to be completely adult in theme and development.
Maybe Harry will be cloned. :biggrin:

I will personally burn all of the Haryy Potter books I have in my posession if that ever happened (@thread starter).

No one kills off the main character. However it would be a perfect end if someone else dies but Harry.

They have already killed of Dubledore so anything must top that.

As a side note, I found this website:

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:FkCFRcvNMBUJ:www.dumbledoreisnotdead.com/+dumbledore&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1

Google cache. Interesting reading. I think that he is dead though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Mattara said:
They have already killed of Dumbledore so anything must top that.
And Sirius Black.

And what will happen to Snape?

Vengeance, probably. I get the feeling that at the end of the book all the wizarding world will unite against Voldemort, will take heavy casualties, and kill him.

Nah, i don't think that is typical for JKR books. Everything so far has been man against man. Why would there be a difference now?

U suggest a big melee at the end (maybe with some muggles)? :-)

Moonbear said:
She can't make Harry Potter die...not unless there's a sequel where some magic brings him back to life. It would certainly be an unexpected ending, but she'd also be locking herself out from ever writing another book in the series again.
Or maybe Harry messed up his "protective" spells one night and because of it even if he dies she can go on writing more books.

edit: that reminds me... I still haven't read the 6th book. I need to get on that.

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
rocketboy said:
Or maybe Harry messed up his "protective" spells one night and because of it even if he dies she can go on writing more books.

edit: that reminds me... I still haven't read the 6th book. I need to get on that.
No need to.
Snape kills Dumbledore, and horcruxes are nasty.:smile:

You spoiler !

Curious3141

Homework Helper
I would be perfectly content if Harry Potter died. That sort of ending has a grim majesty about it.

I love the series, and I don't want to see her sell out or cave to the pressure of fair weather fans. Joanne, please go right ahead and kill off whoever and whatever you want to, you have my full support. :biggrin:

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
If she dares to kill off Dobby or Winky, I'll strangle her myself.
(She can do whatever she like with Kreacher).

H

hellraiser

And we also need to know the reason why Dumbledore trusted Snape so much?

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
hellraiser said:
And we also need to know the reason why Dumbledore trusted Snape so much?
They were lovers. :smile:

Dombli was far too Gandhi-like. Not practical, when you fight evil demonic wizards...

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
arildno said:
If she dares to kill off Dobby or Winky, I'll strangle her myself.
(She can do whatever she like with Kreacher).
Dobby and Winky? Ugh, I'd be glad to see them go. I know, I'll incur the wrath of Hermione for dissing the house elves. :rolleyes:

SizarieldoR said:
BWAhahahaha, maybe Harry will just get some... problems. And at the end he will be like Stephen Hawking, in a flying magical wheelchair:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
lmao weird that the only stuff i think is funny is low-brow offensive stuff like that. too much www.maledicta.org (intl journal of verbal aggression) i guess

i think it's a great idea to have harry potter lose to voldemort. even though it would be sad to have the hero/protagonist lose, unlike star wars, lotr & other bigtime series it's at least original.

Last edited:

pervect

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Prediction:

Both Voldermort and Snape will die. Harry will probably live.

Spoilers/reasoning

Snape is a very ambiguous character. However....

Voldermort can't be killed without inside help, or a deus-ex-machina. The logical person to provide this help is Snape. Snape needs to gain you-know-who's confidence before he can effectively backstab him. Dumbledorf knew this all along, and was willing to sacrifice himself to put Snape in the proper position, in the belief (possibly only the hope) that Snape will do the right thing.

I don't know what the determining factor in Snape's motivation is going to be, but the suggestion I've heard that I like best is that he will have loved Harry's mother, though he probably hated Harry's father and dislikes Harry because Harry reminds Snape of Harry's father.

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
pervect said:
Prediction:

Both Voldermort and Snape will die. Harry will probably live.

Spoilers/reasoning

Snape is a very ambiguous character. However....

Voldermort can't be killed without inside help, or a deus-ex-machina. The logical person to provide this help is Snape. Snape needs to gain you-know-who's confidence before he can effectively backstab him. Dumbledorf knew this all along, and was willing to sacrifice himself to put Snape in the proper position, in the belief (possibly only the hope) that Snape will do the right thing.

I don't know what the determining factor in Snape's motivation is going to be, but the suggestion I've heard that I like best is that he will have loved Harry's mother, though he probably hated Harry's father and dislikes Harry because Harry reminds Snape of Harry's father.
This sounds really plausible to me and it goes with something else I think. Snape has been set up as a minor wizard, but the indications from his notebook is that he's secretly a major power. A stealth weapon in Voldemort's inner circle! But of course Harry has to be intimately involved. A set-up, Harry in V's power, Snape backstabs, sounds like the strategy that will go down.

J77

Dumbledore will definitely come back to life again.

JKR is rewriting Star Wars/Lord of the Rings, set in a boarding school for posh kids.

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
J77 said:
JKR is rewriting Star Wars/Lord of the Rings, set in a boarding school for posh kids.
There are certainly a lot of parallels between LOTR and Harry Potter series.

fourier jr said:
i think it's a great idea to have harry potter lose to voldemort. even though it would be sad to have the hero/protagonist lose, unlike star wars, lotr & other bigtime series it's at least original.
Yea, and then the Muggle world will have to use nuclear weapons against him:cool: