Harry Potter Fans: Share Your Love for the Series

• Thread starter Sophia
  • Start date
In summary, the author enjoyed the Harry Potter series and found the first two books to be simplistic but the later books to be richer and more character-driven. She also found the themes and ideas in the series to be not new, but compelling.
Sophia
Are there any HP fans in here? [emoji2] I've returned to him after about 10 years. I didn't have time to finish the series because of school and other stuff. Now I'm on book 4 and I absolutely love it!
What about others here?
Just don't spoil it for me please, I have successfully avoided all info about the ending until now. Thank you [emoji1]

Likes PapersOwl and ayush solanki
Physics news on Phys.org
That's a long time to wait to finish.

Yep :) I've just forgotten about it in the meantime due to other responsibilities and hobbies.
But now I enjoy it more I think. :)

mememememe! i read the whole series 7 times... each time i discovered something new and made connections between details in the books. did you hear about the new play coming up? and the new film? I'm not sure I'm fond of the idea... for me there's no harry potter world without harry, and no harry potter story come to life without the original cast. i can't wait for pottermore to release a patronus quiz though!

I keep thinking I should read the series. I have the first book on my tablet, but just never seem to start it. I liked the movies well enough.

I like that the harry potter series popularized the idea of a magic university, which was incorporated into "the name of the wind" and "the magicians", two books that I liked. At least I think Rowling gets credit for that.

meBigGuy said:
I keep thinking I should read the series. I have the first book on my tablet, but just never seem to start it. I liked the movies well enough.

I like that the harry potter series popularized the idea of a magic university, which was incorporated into "the name of the wind" and "the magicians", two books that I liked. At least I think Rowling gets credit for that.
if you liked the films. you should definitely read the books. definitely. they are sooooo rich, they go into much more depth (especially around certain characters, like dumbledore) and some parts from the books didn't even make it into the films. please, read the books. it will change your life!

Harry Potter is great :) If you're done with the books and still cannot get enough of it I can suggest a great fanfiction called "Harry Potter and the methods of rationality"
You'll easialy find it on google.

Definitely read the books! I'm just at number 7. The movies are OK but they cannot be even compared to the books.

Can only concur.
Coerced by my then teenaged children to read the books, I actually liked them.
When I saw the movies, I wondered how someone who hasn't read the books can really follow the plot.

Likes Axon
You can follow the movies just about, I should know because I started by watching the first two movies then continued with the books.
Sophia said:
The movies are OK but they cannot be even compared to the books.
The books are on another level though, nobody can understand how deep, genius the story line is if they haven't read the books.
Samy_A said:
Coerced by my then teenaged children to read the books, I actually liked them.
When I saw the movies, I wondered how someone who hasn't read the books can really follow the plot.
I tried to get my dad to read them but he just couldn't get into it :(
Thr future is going to be awesome when they make kids study Harry Potter in schools, cause it will be a clasic you know;)

Likes AaronK and Sophia
I thought the Harry Potter books were rather enjoyable however I felt the first two were painfully simple. I also felt that they weren't the most groundbreaking work of fantasy fiction ever and that J.K. Rowling borrowed a lot of themes, elements, story lines and terms from other books.

Axon said:
I thought the Harry Potter books were rather enjoyable however I felt the first two were painfully simple. I also felt that they weren't the most groundbreaking work of fantasy fiction ever and that J.K. Rowling borrowed a lot of themes, elements, story lines and terms from other books.
Yes, it is true that the first books are simple. But you have to take into consideration that they are for kids .
Also the themes are not new either.
But what I find exceptional is character building, especially towards the end of the series. These people develop and there are no simple good and bad characters. In my opinion, this is a nice thought to have in children's literature.
The books allegoricaly speak about racism, class battles and dangers of some political regimes while remaining enjoyable and understandable for children.
I but fully agree with you Axon, that some adults may find it simplistic.

Likes Samy_A
I'm reading 5th book now, third time actually :) So many years passed but this books still carry me to my childhood and fairy tales. So as The 10th Kingdom actually :)

Likes Sophia
Axon said:
I read the first book in one day. Orders from my late wife, who was studying to be a children's librarian.

J.K. wanted the books to be read by children of the same age as Harry in that book. So the first one was geared toward eleven year olds. I wonder if anyone will be able to keep their kids from reading every book as fast as they can after reading the first one?

1. What makes the Harry Potter series so popular among fans?

The Harry Potter series has captured the hearts of fans worldwide due to its captivating storyline, relatable characters, and intricate world-building. The themes of friendship, love, and good versus evil also resonate with readers of all ages.

2. Which book in the series is your favorite and why?

This is a difficult question for most Harry Potter fans, as each book holds a special place in their hearts. However, many fans often cite "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" as their favorite due to its fast-paced plot, character development, and introduction of beloved characters like Sirius Black and Remus Lupin.

3. Do you have a favorite character from the series?

Again, this is a tough question for most fans. While Harry, Hermione, and Ron are popular choices, other characters like Luna Lovegood, Neville Longbottom, and Severus Snape also have a dedicated fan base. Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference and each character's unique qualities.

4. How do you think the Harry Potter series has impacted popular culture?

The Harry Potter series has had a profound impact on popular culture, from inspiring countless merchandise and fan creations to influencing the way we think about magic, fantasy, and storytelling. The series has also sparked important discussions on themes such as discrimination, societal expectations, and the power of love and friendship.

5. What do you think sets the Harry Potter fandom apart from other fandoms?

The Harry Potter fandom is known for its strong sense of community and inclusivity. Fans from all walks of life come together to share their love for the series, and the fandom has also been a source of support and empowerment for many individuals. Additionally, the vast and detailed world of Harry Potter allows for endless discussions, theories, and fan works, making it a never-ending source of inspiration and creativity for fans.