1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hartle's Gravity

1. Nov 10, 2009 #1
    Has anybody read the book? Is it just me or it would be better to read before a book on special relativity?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2009 #2
    Yes, I'd suggest a book on special relativity before tackling Hartle, though Hartle does cover SR. If you're finding that section of his book difficult, I'd suggest, as usual, the red paperback first edition of Spacetime Physics.

4. Nov 10, 2009 #3

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

You should definitely have had some exposure to SR before going through Hartle's Gravity. Even exposure on the level of simply manipulating lorentz factors and whatnot is very helpful before presented with the 4-vector formulation of everything. The book is, after all, an introduction to general relativity, and just quickly glosses over stuff from SR as a refresher/analogy to GR.

5. Nov 11, 2009 #4
    Thanks. I'm reading "A Traveller's Guide to Spacetime" and it's excellent. I also have "Spacetime Physics" (first red paperback edition with exercises and solutions" and the book by French.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook