1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hartree-Fock exchange operator

1. Sep 13, 2005 #1
    I'm trying to understand the Hartree-Fock mathematical formulation I understand the Coulomb operator, but I dont understand the exchange operator:
    [tex]
    \hat{K_{j}}[\Psi](\textbf{x})=\Phi_{j}(\textbf{x})\int
    d\textbf{x}'\frac{\Phi_{j}^{*}(\textbf{x}')\Psi(\textbf{x}')}{|\textbf{r}-\textbf{r}'|}[/tex]
    Can any one explain me why this operator is like this. I understand that it is the interaction of the j-th electron with the electrons' cloud but... how it come to be like that

thanks in advance :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2005 #2
    I don't know anything about that formulation, but this book on Google Print might help:

Google Print

You can't see all the relevant information, but I think it might help you understand where the idea's headed.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2005
  4. Sep 26, 2005 #3
    I guess the integral on the rhs is simply the matrix element <j|K|phi> of the electrostatic potential. Therefore K|phi> is indeed given by |j><j|K|ph> .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?