1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hartree Fock in QM I

1. Apr 24, 2017 #1
    When I took undergrad QM, our last assignment was solving the 4 particle system as a function of inter-nuclear separation. I just read Shankar (30 years later) for a review. There was no mention of SCF theory in the book. Was my instructor ahead of the curve?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2017 #2
    If a book doesn't discuss multi electron atoms it is unlikely it would discuss the Hartree-Fock method..

4. Apr 26, 2017 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's too specialized and too advanced for most undergrad quantum texts, then or now. When I was a student at about that time, it was in my quantum course, but my prof used it in his research.

I see that it is in texts by Messiah (1957), and by Merzbacher (2nd edition, 1970). It is also in more recent texts by Auletta, Fortunato, and Parisi (2009), and by Konishi and Paffuti (2009).

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted